Board logo

Passat / A4 Drive shafts
dan8400 - 24/1/16 at 08:10 PM

Hi everyone

I am planning a midi build and wanted to use a Passat / A4 Engine and gearbox (not going BEC) and I wondered if the front / rear drive shafts are the same on a 4wd version. Also, are the front / rear wheel bearings interchangeable? Not sure how I am doing brakes / handbrake etc, so some basic knowledge on the components may help me

Thanks
Dan

ian locostzx9rc2 - 24/1/16 at 08:17 PM

In my experience there different front and rear both driveshafts and wheel bearings .

dan8400 - 24/1/16 at 08:19 PM

Ok, thanks for the heads up. And such a quick reply too

Thanks
Dan

nick205 - 25/1/16 at 08:53 AM

I wouldn't swear to it, but be fairly certain that front/rear drive shafts are different due to the different F/R differentials.

What setup do you have in mind - being familiar with a FWD Audi A6, I do know the gearbox/differential was quite long. If you're planning a RWD setup it could take some hiding to get the gearbox covered up. Might be an aesthetic challenge for you.

On the + side, parts should be readily available and relatively cheap to buy.

dan8400 - 25/1/16 at 08:58 AM

Hi Nick,

I am thinking either Passat/A4 / Audi 80 engine and transaxle. I include the 80 due to it being pre '95 for IVA. Although if I get a complete car I can figure out wiring, cat etc.

I have a single seater chassis that finishes at the roll bar. So I can make my own rear end. BEC is out of the question mainly due to cost

Thanks
Dan

nick205 - 25/1/16 at 09:23 AM

OK - understand now!

Not sure the engine and gearbox lend themselves to being structural parts if you need them to be though.

dan8400 - 25/1/16 at 09:46 AM

Hi

Not planning on using it as structure. Will surround the engine/box with a frame. Will be much easier even if it's not as pretty

Thanks
Dan

nick205 - 25/1/16 at 10:12 AM

OK - makes sense so you can integrate mounting points etc.

coozer - 25/1/16 at 12:08 PM

Good plan, I would go with a V8 engine though.