Board logo

reaming sierra upright
viceface - 24/2/16 at 11:06 AM

Good morning all,

I'm after a bit of help,
Does anyone have a Aixminster reamer I could borrow to ream my sierra uprights to except the Maxi bottom ball joint.
Or know where I can get this done locally to St Ives, Cambridgeshire.

Thanks in advance.

andrew.carwithen - 24/2/16 at 01:19 PM

How far away are you from Tiger Racing? (Wisbech)
They'd be able to do it.

viceface - 24/2/16 at 01:26 PM

Hi,
They are not to far away.
I emailed them this morning to see if they could help,just waiting for a reply.

nick205 - 24/2/16 at 03:09 PM

Can't help with a reamer as mine were done by MK when I built my Indy. IIRC they had it setup in a pillar drill with a jig to hold the upright straight.

viceface - 24/2/16 at 03:17 PM

Stupid question but who are IIRC

tims31 - 24/2/16 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by viceface
Stupid question but who are IIRC

If I Remember Correctly IIRC

Never a stupid question, just stupid answers

nick205 - 24/2/16 at 04:40 PM

Sorry - as above, an abbreviation often used on the forum.

Also as above, no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

viceface - 24/2/16 at 06:22 PM

Ok cheers, that makes sense.
Hopefully get an email from Tiger racing soon.

viceface - 25/2/16 at 09:00 AM

so if I have read this correctly, the 19mm reamer from Aixminster is the one I need.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/taper-reamers-ax791111

nick205 - 25/2/16 at 09:35 AM

Could well be the right one - not sure myself.

I suspect the issue is holding the upright correctly to ensure it goes in straight.

Irony - 25/2/16 at 10:00 AM

I did this at home in my vice with a reamer from Axminister. I can't remember exactly what reamer it was though. Spend some time looking though the search function on here and you'll find a link to the right one.

I clamped the upright in the vice and then pressed the reamer into the hole. Using quite a lot of downward pressure from my hands slowly turn the reamer until it starts to cut. Use some sort of cutting fluid. I have to say that I was nervous about doing this but in the end it was dead easy. The tapers matched perfectly. Keep checking the depth as you go along. Make sure you cut enough to allow the thread to stick through the top of the upright. There needs to be enough thread to allow for a big nut and a couple of threads poking out of the top of the nut.

The search on here is your friend.

nick205 - 25/2/16 at 10:32 AM

As above, depth will be important!

From memory the Indy cycle wing brackets had a tab with a hole in that went over the top of the Maxi ball joint spindle with a locking nut over the top.

Smoking Frog - 25/2/16 at 10:38 AM

I did mine the same way as Irony. As suggested, keep checking the depth and remember the wing stay bottom bracket is also attached at this point. So you need enough thread showing to fit wing stay bottom bracket + washer + nut + 2 or 3 clear threads.

viceface - 25/2/16 at 10:51 AM

Cheers guys, I have no issue doing the job. I'm just not sure that's the correct reamer as I'm sure looking through old post on here, it was said they didn't do them anymore.

Smoking Frog - 25/2/16 at 12:31 PM

Yes, it looks like the same 19mm reamer I used.

viceface - 25/2/16 at 12:49 PM

ok i've ordered 1, as Tiger racing have said they cannot do it.
ill let you know how I get on.

thanks for your help.

big_wasa - 25/2/16 at 12:51 PM

That's not the reamer I've got.

I would say your welcome to pop over but I am around 40 miles away.

[Edited on 25/2/16 by big_wasa]

viceface - 29/2/16 at 07:55 AM

Morning,

The reamer arrived on Friday but unfortunately its not correct.
stupidly I have found this out the hard way. reaming the hole was not too difficult, however the taper is not the same as the maxi ball joint.
I had previously checked this with the dimensions from aixminster web site and all seemed well.
I must of got my calculations wrong somewhere as the upright does not sit correctly on the maxi ball joint as the angle is too big.

So I am back to square 1, I shall try and ring MKsportscars today to see if they can help.

cheers.

big_wasa - 29/2/16 at 06:54 PM

Hopfulley the upright is salvageable ?

The hand ream they sold was just one of them flukes that was a perfect match but I don't think Axminster sell them anymore.