Board logo

Open diff, drum brakes etc... change?
russtik - 18/9/16 at 09:00 PM

So I've got a 7" Sierra open diff (clean but noisy), push-in drive shafts (perfect condition) and drum brakes (great condition). I'd like an LSD. Options:

- Sierra viscous LSD, change out to unequal length lobro drive shafts and hubs and swap to disc brakes.
- Keep current shafts, drum brakes & fit a Quaife ATB.

Thought, opinions, difference in cost?

nobrakes - 20/9/16 at 12:35 PM

The handbrake on Sierra rear discs is well known for not being very good.
How does the cost of a Quaife compare to a second hand Sierra LSD and rebuild? (I'm assuming that it'll quite likely need a rebuild to restore the limited slip)

chris - 20/9/16 at 02:12 PM

The handbrake on my old drum open diff setup was ok now lsd with discs handbrake fantastick

HowardB - 20/9/16 at 02:29 PM

The LSD vd non-LSD is well discussed. Often an old LSD will be set for the original and much heavier car.
My Fury doesn't have a standard double wishbone at the rear, instead having a strut and an odd shapped carrier.

I do know that repair kits for the old style UJ are difficult to get hold of, so if there is a need to upgrade then ensuring the correct UJ is a good plan. I did toy with the idea of changing to an MX5 diff, shafts and rear discs,. gave up as I concentrated on getting the front end sorted 1st.

Adi is extremely knowledgeable,...

scimjim - 4/10/16 at 09:52 AM

There is a third (most locost) option - modify shafts to bolted flange, keep drums and fit Ford 7" LSD?