Board logo

Steering Wheels - who has what..
avagolen - 30/1/17 at 07:15 PM

Hi one and all.

Question about steering wheels. What are you using?

Time to upgrade from my Sierra 15inch donor wheel.

Thinking of a Mota Lita 14inch mark 4 flat wheel. ( maybe a mark 5 ....)

Not really locost but concerned about cheep ones.

matt5964 - 30/1/17 at 07:55 PM

I use a mono team 280

It has a really good feel and being off set allows extra leg room and fast steaming response

ian locostzx9rc2 - 30/1/17 at 08:03 PM

I had a caterham momo 280 leather wheel on my last striker really nice

Rosco86 - 30/1/17 at 08:08 PM

Ive gor one of these

Spa 270mm, well happy and the quality seems good

http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/Product/Steering%20Wheel%20270mm%20-%20Black%20Suede

Nickp - 30/1/17 at 09:22 PM

Just bought this cheapo one (£24!!) from CBS, basically to try for size before I commit to a decent one.

I was going to try it on the road but it's that flimsy I don't know if I dare!!

Deffo not recommended!!

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/300mm-steering-wheel-black-spokes

Banana - 30/1/17 at 09:34 PM

I've got a basically brand new 300mm OMP.

I fancy something smaller though- if anyone wants a swap?

daniel mason - 30/1/17 at 09:37 PM

I use momo 12c

motivforz - 31/1/17 at 08:24 AM

I had a moto lita in my triumph herald and it was great to hold and looks right in that kind of car. Quite a large diameter though in order to make the heavy steering load easier. Because I'm quite tall and generally cockpit space is limited in kits, I would be concerned about a smaller diameter one and putting the load in comfortably. The rim is quite narrow and larger rims are easier to grip.

russbost - 31/1/17 at 09:50 AM

We've always used the RMD steering wheels on the Furore, there was a little negative press about them a couple of years back, but we never had a failure whilst I was selling them & I have a 5 year old one on my car now. They are now made of slightly thicker alloy, very good value for money & Furore Products (no longer run by me!)

Link to Steering Wheels

will give 5% off to LCB if you contact directly rather than buy through the website/Ebay

Adamirish - 31/1/17 at 07:21 PM

I have a 300mm OMP suede wheel. Can't remember the name of it though. It's a lovely wheel but I feel it's a touch too big. Wish I had bought a 280mm as it wasn't cheap!

ptrxly - 8/2/17 at 09:35 PM

Longacre 11.5" suede US$89.90 flat
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1827&prodid=10118&pagetitle=11.5%22+Suede+Flat+Kart+Steering+Wheel

Perfect size for me & best price by far. Does not look like your typical kart steering wheel.

David Jenkins - 8/2/17 at 09:49 PM

One cautionary note: When I built the car I fitted a quick rack (2.4, I think), modified the top wishbones to get extra self-centering for the SVA, and fitted a small steering wheel. The result of all that, plus the addition of brand-new and tight steering components, was that on long journeys my wrists used to ache painfully - all the built-in leverage and stiffness were working against me. Now I have a slightly bigger wheel and a middling rack (2.7), and everything's just fine. As an aside, I could probably get away with book wishbones now the steering joints are moving properly, and probably a quicker rack. I doubt that I'll change it anytime soon though.

The moral is - don't rush to get a small wheel until you're sure that it won't overload your arms. As an example, look at the size of the wheel in a typical WRC car; quite large, and right up in front of the driver for maximum turning force.

rodgling - 8/2/17 at 10:22 PM

OMP Kubic, it's expensive but good. As above, get the biggest one that you can still fit underneath. A squared off one (like the Kubic) helps with this.

jps - 9/2/17 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The moral is - dofn't rush to get a small wheel until you're sure that it won't overload your arms. As an example, look at the size of the wheel in a typical WRC car; quite large, and right up in front of the driver for maximum turning force.

I've seen a good few rally cars that have deeply dished wheels presumably for exactly this reason, I guess people design in the wheel position up front if they want this in their 7 though? I know I have!