Board logo

Best oil grade for an older modern car
Mr Whippy - 26/4/17 at 11:04 AM

Hi,

I have my camo Volvo petrol 2.0 turbo and the manual states 5W/30 oil but the car has done almost 100k probably hard miles and I’m now thinking this watery oil is fine when new but really a bit thin for the car now, apart from going to a 5W/40 oil is there a better grade or solution for high mileage cars. I recently changed the oil with 5W/30 but the engine now seems nosier especially tappet noise which is now noticeable.

britishtrident - 26/4/17 at 11:27 AM

Stick with 5w/30 full syth unless it galloping through oil.

Mr Whippy - 26/4/17 at 11:31 AM

doesn't burn any oil and the emissions are clean for the MOT, just after changing the plugs and they were spotless so generally I think the engine is in good health, just the last oil change seemed a little bit nosier...

nick205 - 26/4/17 at 12:21 PM

I'd stick with the OEM oil recommendation. 100k is not that higher mileage and as above unless it's using a lot of oil the OEM spec should be best.

Mr Whippy - 3/7/17 at 06:20 AM

Well just and update on this...

I had 5w/30 fully synthetic in but decided this was not acceptable as the noise from what seems to be the cam gear is far to loud, especially as I have another recently purchased identical S60 which doesn't make any noise (not sure what grade its on).

So still going on the hand book for the time of year changed to a 20w/40 part synthetic and all the noise has vanished! it now runs a silently as it should.

From this even though both oils are fully to the manufactures spec the protection of such thin oils I'd have to say is questionable and will be steering clear of these grades from now on.

Angel Acevedo - 4/7/17 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Well just and update on this...

I had 5w/30 fully synthetic in but decided this was not acceptable as the noise from what seems to be the cam gear is far to loud, especially as I have another recently purchased identical S60 which doesn't make any noise (not sure what grade its on).

So still going on the hand book for the time of year changed to a 20w/40 part synthetic and all the noise has vanished! it now runs a silently as it should.

From this even though both oils are fully to the manufactures spec the protection of such thin oils I'd have to say is questionable and will be steering clear of these grades from now on.

I live in the tropics, but have tried to keep using recommended oil.
Notwithstanding, last two oil changes I havenīt found 5W30 and used 10W40 if my memory serves me OK.
I may as well stick to the new spec as easier to find and additional peace of mind as we donīt have such low temperatures in the morning, therefore such low viscosity is not needed at startup.
You may need to go back to 5W30 in winter.
Hope my post makes sense.

Slimy38 - 4/7/17 at 07:00 AM

Personally I wouldn't have gone for a part synthetic oil of any grade in a turbo car, but I only have internet based gossip to back that up.

v8kid - 4/7/17 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Personally I wouldn't have gone for a part synthetic oil of any grade in a turbo car, but I only have internet based gossip to back that up.

Ditto - I even use fully synthetic in my van

Cheers!