Board logo

I was only supposed to pull the bloody shafts out...
xxx - 9/6/17 at 04:17 PM

Evening all, need a few tips please:

I tried to remove the driveshafts out of my English axle with the hammer on the wheel method rather than a proper slide hammer on the hub and it looks like I've pulled the wheel bearing out, rather than just the shaft?

Any ideas on what I should do now?
- knock the bearings back in carefully then get a slide hammer
- put the bearing in a vice and get the slide hammer on the shaft

I expect to be replacing the bearings anyway so not worried about damaging them.

xxx - 9/6/17 at 04:18 PM

Description
Description

David Jenkins - 9/6/17 at 04:29 PM

Don't panic - that's normal! The bearings are press-fitted to the half-shaft, together with a locating collar - they won't come off without a battle (or smashing them, which is the usual method).

I got mine off by grinding a small groove across the outer race in 2 or 3 places, then smacking opposite sides simultaneously with a pair of hammers. Each race split in two, quite violently in the case of the inner one - wrap a cloth around the race before hitting it, and wear goggles.

[Edited on 9/6/17 by David Jenkins]

adithorp - 9/6/17 at 05:52 PM

Yes, that's how they're supposed to come out.

JMW - 9/6/17 at 08:43 PM

If you are definitely going to put new bearings on, whoever is tasked to do it will likely use a press (although other methods are available), so if they do, get them to use the press to remove the old ones as well.

However, if there is a period of time between off and on, make sure you keep the correct orientation of the axle retention plate on each half shaft. they are not symmetrical in any plane.