Board logo

CV Joint Rebuild
Ron86 - 11/9/17 at 08:08 PM

So, in the process of stripping my Zero for a full rebuild, I've just made a bit of a newbie error. Taking the driveshafts out (Lobro type) I dropped one of them and the CV joint literally fell to pieces -balls and all!

The sierra manual explains how to overhaul them but nothing about literally rebuilding them and I can't seem to get the balls back in place and the joint back together. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Might be because I'm trying to do it with all the grease stil in place lol! Slippy as 'eck!

[Edited on 11/9/17 by Ron86]

loggyboy - 11/9/17 at 08:36 PM

Buy a new one. They are only £13.
IIRC unless you get the right balls in the right hole the tolerances will cause premature wear/failure.

rusty nuts - 11/9/17 at 08:38 PM

Clean all of the grease from all of the parts before reassembly , then it's a case of fitting the parts togetherworth putting your location in your profile as someone local may be able to help if you have problems. without the balls and swivelling the inner sections to replace the balls one at a time before repackaged with fresh grease. Might be

mcerd1 - 12/9/17 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ron86
So, in the process of stripping my Zero for a full rebuild, I've just made a bit of a newbie error. Taking the driveshafts out (Lobro type) I dropped one of them and the CV joint literally fell to pieces -balls and all!

The sierra manual explains how to overhaul them but nothing about literally rebuilding them and I can't seem to get the balls back in place and the joint back together. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Might be because I'm trying to do it with all the grease stil in place lol! Slippy as 'eck!

Been there done that - the good news is that its fiddly, but not impossible

this video gives you the idea:

40inches - 12/9/17 at 09:47 AM

As loggyboy said, for £13, why bother?

mcerd1 - 12/9/17 at 07:15 PM

It's still £13 vs £0

Besides its quite satisfying when it all clicks back in

40inches - 13/9/17 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
It's still £13 vs £0

Besides its quite satisfying when it all clicks back in