Board logo

14" tyre nightmare
J666AYP - 10/7/18 at 12:32 AM

Have just brought a set of 14" alloys to get the project rolling but I'm now faced with the nightmare of getting some decent rubber for them.

The rims are (from what I can tell) 6" wide from the insides of bead/rim... I'm sure from memory the widest tyres for 6" rims were 195's. Will this be wide enough for good traction or have I just made another mistake buy?

Jay


loggyboy - 10/7/18 at 01:11 AM

6inch maxes out at 205 and 185/195 is optimal, 175 minimum.


J666AYP - 10/7/18 at 01:16 AM

Cheers mate, knew it was somewhere round that sort of size.

Will decent grippy 195's be enough or should I chop the wheels in for some 15's?

Jay


wylliezx9r - 10/7/18 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Cheers mate, knew it was somewhere round that sort of size.

Will decent grippy 195's be enough or should I chop the wheels in for some 15's?

Jay


195 should be fine. That's what I ran in my old car that was running an S2000 engine.


fossett - 10/7/18 at 08:37 AM

Hi Mate

Maybe THESE


Bluemoon - 10/7/18 at 10:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fossett
Hi Mate

Maybe THESE


Yep, NanKang is a good way forward for 14".. This is what I intend on doing...

I would take a look at them but consider the compound you need.

[Edited on 10/7/18 by Bluemoon]


nick205 - 10/7/18 at 12:01 PM

Jay

Where abouts are you?


ian locostzx9rc2 - 10/7/18 at 12:08 PM

Nankang ns2r are great tyres ran 185/60/14


bi22le - 10/7/18 at 02:13 PM

I run 185/60/14.

Options are really NS2R, R888 or A048.

That list is in order of price, and as I understand it, performance. I have not tried NS2R bit the A048 is better than R888.


lewis - 10/7/18 at 04:00 PM

I used R888s in 14 & had no problems getting hold of them (Camskill)


nick205 - 10/7/18 at 04:22 PM

Yokohama A539's are (IMHO) a good tyre and available in 14". Used them for many years on 205 GTIs.

https://www.yokohama.co.uk/Tyres/Car-Tyres/Summer-Tyres/(product)/A539


J666AYP - 12/7/18 at 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the info gents. I'm swaying towards the Nankangs/888's after seeing some reviews online.

Fingers crossed I will be able to burn some rubber in the next couple of years


peter030371 - 13/7/18 at 06:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Yokohama A539's are (IMHO) a good tyre and available in 14". Used them for many years on 205 GTIs.

https://www.yokohama.co.uk/Tyres/Car-Tyres/Summer-Tyres/(product)/A539


I've used A539 on my old Striker, truly horrible for both road and track compared to A048, R888 and 888R


Angel Acevedo - 13/7/18 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Thanks for all the info gents. I'm swaying towards the Nankangs/888's after seeing some reviews online.

Fingers crossed I will be able to burn some rubber in the next couple of years


Are you still building?
If so, I suggest you buy some "Building" tyres.
Unless you are dead set to finish within Tyres life expectancy.
Due to health and income problems, my build has extended almost 11 years.
My tyres look as good as new, but I will be using them for testing only...
Once the car is on the road, a tyre change will be in order.