Board logo

Cable for Steering Wheel Horn Press
ChrisJ15 - 20/12/14 at 03:19 PM

I'm wiring up my J15 and I just came to the horn press. I'm using a momo wheel with horn press in the centre and the lead which gets switched to earth just hangs below the column. Trouble is, when there's enough slack to turn lock to lock it can get snagged on some of the bits and bobs around the column.
I dont want to do anything complex like slip rings or clocksprings but wondered if anyone has any simple ideas or has used curly cable?

turnipfarmer - 20/12/14 at 06:12 PM

Like you, I didn't want to bother with slip rings.

Tried various solutions, but in the end ditched the idea of having the horn press in the wheel, & went for a separate momentary push button on the dash.

Simplest solution of all to wire up.

David Jenkins - 20/12/14 at 06:47 PM

You could use spiral cable - but you'd have to use a relay for the horn because the spiral cable would never withstand the current required by the horn.

I used the slip rings from the Sierra steering column - worked well, and the wheel hub I bought (Momo) was designed to take the plastic & brass disc that the contacts... contacted.

steve m - 20/12/14 at 07:41 PM

"Like you, I didn't want to bother with slip rings.

Tried various solutions, but in the end ditched the idea of having the horn press in the wheel, & went for a separate momentary push button on the dash.

Simplest solution of all to wire up."

+1

exactly what I did

ChrisJ15 - 21/12/14 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.
Annoyingly I eBayed the spiral cable jobby from the donor car which I think would have worked with the steering wheel boss I have.
Cant be @rsed to buy another so button on dash it is!

Marcus - 21/12/14 at 12:05 PM

I wired mine to the washer switch on my stalk (Opel Manta). That was before I fitted a screen. Now I need washers so put a button for them on the centre console