Board logo

Neoprene
Mark100 - 30/11/16 at 05:49 PM

Hi I have neoprene rubber to put pads on my seats but cutting it to shape is leaveing a ruff edge
any ideas how are you lot shapeing this stuff ????????????

leon51274 - 30/11/16 at 06:15 PM

Waterjet Mark, although I would of thought your arse would offer more than enough padding!

StevieB - 30/11/16 at 06:16 PM

I used a scalpel when I did mine.

Just go really slow and try and do it in one cut - if you go back and make a second pass you'll invariably leave a ragged edge.

bi22le - 30/11/16 at 08:45 PM

I would bind the edges. I have worked with Neoprene and if you dont add edging (webbing material) then it will delaminate.

Andybarbet - 30/11/16 at 09:12 PM

I would try a 'hot knife' you can pick one up for £20. It shoyld give a clean cut & it will heat seal the edges.

nick205 - 1/12/16 at 09:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I used a scalpel when I did mine.

Just go really slow and try and do it in one cut - if you go back and make a second pass you'll invariably leave a ragged edge.

We've used it at work and cut with a scalpel to get a clean edge. Ditto the "one cut" approach, cutting the same edge more than once will leave a raggedy edge on it.

One other thought...does the seat manufacturer not supply pads for the seats? Pre-cut and probably a good fit too.

Matt21 - 1/12/16 at 12:05 PM

Surely neoprene is going to offer next to no padding at all?

Unless its like an inch thick?!

nick205 - 1/12/16 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
Surely neoprene is going to offer next to no padding at all?

Unless its like an inch thick?!

Can see your point re: padding, but neoprene may well help hold you in place better on a GRP seat

Mark100 - 1/12/16 at 08:13 PM

Its for the grip more than the padding ill try scalpel and heat tomorow cheers

Hodor - 6/1/17 at 03:23 PM

How did this go? Interested to find out. What thickness of Neoprene did you use? I have a 50cm square of 12mm stuff that I bought to do the same, but just sit on it for now, literally. Was intending to buy more to make pads for the back.

[Edited on 6/1/17 by Hodor]

johnH20 - 6/1/17 at 05:30 PM

I use a neoprene 'pad' as an anti slip measure on a fibreglass seat, helps particularly under heavy braking. Mine is only 3 mm thick and single faced with fabric, actually cut from an old wetsuit with a pair of sharp scissors. Edges are fine.

Mash - 6/1/17 at 05:47 PM

I bought an ex-army roll matt, about 10mm thick, double thickness under the cheeks, then covered seat with black stretch van wall carpet Not bad result

rm0rgan - 8/1/17 at 03:49 PM

Save yourself the hassle...GRP/CARBON/KEVLAR/ALUMINIUM CAR SEAT PADS UNIVERSAL for Bucket Seat in BLACK

I have them fitted to my seats

Seat Pads
Seat Pads