Board logo

Kit car carpet and floors?
number-1 - 6/4/20 at 05:59 PM

Evening. I hope you and your family are are safe and well.

What carpet are you all using in your kit cars? Im ripping the old stuff out and need some inspiration. It will be black carpet that i replace it with but not too sure what to do on the floor? Do you carpet it or leave it as ali or something else??

N1

nickm - 6/4/20 at 06:17 PM

Hi

Up to you really

First car just got carpet from Woolies the trim people cut it to shape and got Dunelm to stitch all the edges up for me. Carpet is pretty cheap get the proper stuff as its hard wearing from an automotive supplier. Dunelm was approx £40 for all the edging (12 yrs ago)

Second car bought some cheap workshop tiles from Machinemart or Screwfix and cut them to shape with a stanley knife this car is very light so it seemed to be the right thing to do ! feels nice under my feet ergonomic for the garage so the catalogue says so works a treat. Doesnt wear to well but just buy some more and pull out the previous tile for the template.

Enjoy the nice jobs !

Nick M

number-1 - 6/4/20 at 06:27 PM

Hello mate, do you have any pictures of the workshop tiles in the car?

steve m - 6/4/20 at 06:40 PM

My old 7 was fully carpeted, not everyones taste, but it was warm and took a lot of the harshness out these kit cars

rusty nuts - 6/4/20 at 06:58 PM

I just put some deck anti slip that came from a boat handlers to stop my feet sliding about

ianhurley20 - 7/4/20 at 08:10 AM

I used marine rubber matting from a boat jumble - brilliant and cheap - and waterproof!

Tangerine Scream - 7/4/20 at 10:31 AM

Similar to Rusty Nuts...
I used POR15 bed liner paint. Seems to have lasted 2 seasons so far.

nickm - 7/4/20 at 06:36 PM

Sorry

I can build a car but no way will i be able to get photos on here ?

Nick M

nick205 - 8/4/20 at 11:25 AM

My MK Indy interior stayed as plain Aluminium (floor & tunnel) and fiberglass side panels. Didn't see the point in extra weight or time fitting anything.

Mr Whippy - 8/4/20 at 11:57 AM

Carpet is the way to go. I used Woolies too and bought a huge roll of black carpet I used for the JBA and still have heaps left over. So recently made a new much improved boot carpet for the fiesta