Board logo

Instrument Gauge Surrounds?
Gareth - 12/6/07 at 07:46 AM

After a slip while cutting the gauge holes in my dash board, I need to make or buy four surrounds to sit between the dash and the gauge to tidy things up and give a good finish.

I was thinking of some kind of metal washer, shim or a rubber washer with a 52mm internal diameter, and between 65mm to 67mm outside diameter.

Any one got any helpful ideas?

Cheers

Gareth

Moorron - 12/6/07 at 07:53 AM

i thought about this when i redid my dash, if i slipped or just drilled unlevel it would look poop. I thought about getting some laser cut 1.6mm stainless steel rings about 5 mm diameter bigger than the dials. Didnt bother in the end.

But if there is alot of interest i can get some made.

unless somewhere else here can link to something simular.

Gareth - 12/6/07 at 07:59 AM

Cheers for the reply.

I don't want to redo the dash for a tiny bit of damage but also want it to look right.

I was hoping to try and find something off the shelf, as if you don't know some one it could get very costly.

Gareth

Humbug - 12/6/07 at 08:02 AM

As an alternative to the ring suggestion, could you make a sort of backplate behind 2 or more dials? Rescued attachment dash dials.jpg
Rescued attachment dash dials.jpg

Johnmor - 12/6/07 at 08:12 AM

I used a bit of aluminium and cut all the dial nto it, looks ok.

You could polish to almost chrome if you had the patience.

ayoungman - 12/6/07 at 10:06 AM

why not use some abs sheet with Carbon fibre effect. easy to cut and finish. Won't break the bank either.

edspurrier - 12/6/07 at 01:26 PM

Does that fit with the SVA "soft dashboard" radiu edge? If so I've got some nice turned aluminium I might use myself

Ed

Gareth - 13/6/07 at 08:19 AM

Cheers for the replies, defiantly some food for thought.

Gareth

omega 24 v6 - 13/6/07 at 11:43 AM

What's the dash made of?? can it be removed from the car and set on a bench drill?? if it's ally or stainless youcould try the old wooden dowel in the chuck with lapping paste and create a finish like thisNice finish