Board logo

Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Ecu with Relay Board and loom
Gersen - 16/8/17 at 06:33 PM

As you may of gathered from the title this is for my Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Ecu with Relay Board and loom

This ECU came off my Luego Velocity XT where it was happily managing and running my C20XE Red Top on Throttle bodies and controlling the Radiator Fan. The relay board contains the Power Relay, the Fuel Pump relay and an idle controller relay (which I'm not using due to bodies). It's configured with the latest firmware and can be mapped with the popular TunerStudio mapping suite.

This ECU and relay board combination are ideal for Locost or any other custom engine installation and it can be configured easily for any engine/induction system you can think to fit into a home build project! It's also got a MAP sensor on in case you have a turbo/supercharger installation!

As you can see from one of the popular UK Distributors this ECU (4 cylinder semi-sequential wasted spark using 2 coils) would be £449 and that's without any Relay board! http://www.extraefi.co.uk/products/MS_All_products.html

Perfect working order, no faults, no damage

£325 delivered (to Zone 1 UK postcodes i.e. Scottish Highlands, Isle of Man, e.t.c. might be a few quid more for delivery)

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Mudchute - 17/8/17 at 10:29 AM

Were you running this with a coil pack?

Gersen - 17/8/17 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mudchute
Were you running this with a coil pack?

Yes - I ran wasted spark with a late GM XE coil pack - as it mounts to the cylinder head conveniently - plus a QED blanking plate on the distributor.

The MS ignition drivers can run any coil pack you like though.

Can give you a hand setting up for a dizzy + single coil set up if you need that though.

cheers

Tom

Mudchute - 17/8/17 at 04:12 PM

I need to run a 4x cop setup on my mx5. Did you build this yourself?

Gersen - 17/8/17 at 04:43 PM

quote:
I need to run a 4x cop setup on my mx5.

Not sure if that's a need need or want need - I think you may need a pair of triggers to do 4 cop but I'm not sure why you have to on an NA or an NB - fortunately one of my good buddies has built and tuned about any MS application you care to mention - including his own comedy race tuned NA - he used to build plug and play for Saxo's and would be able to advise you better - Luthor...you about? He has offered his help with set up for the next owner - though he might not be able to see this thread until 48 hours is up! I can put you in touch if you PM me you're email.
quote:
Did you build this yourself?

No, it originally came with my Luego that was built by Steve Lovelock (on here) then Bingham (also here) - I (actually Luthor) just upgraded it with the more powerful daughterboard from an MS1 to an MS2 v3

HTH

Mudchute - 17/8/17 at 05:24 PM

Sorry, I should have explained further ( I was on my phone and I hate typing on it).

I have an mx5 motor and I've used 4 pin Toyota cop's as I like the cleaner look and potentially more reliable setup. I will put a turbo on this at some point so also needed a stronger spark than the original mazda coil can deliver.

Its been a while since I used an MS. I had a MS1 powering my old v8 capri but I've lost touch with the progression in the MS world. Would I be right in saying the MS2 still uses the original MS1 PCB but with the daughter board achieve the extra functionality?

Gersen - 17/8/17 at 10:01 PM

Short answer....

Yes - essentially the MS2 is a pimped MS1 - with a better processor and some additional functionality - like stepper motor idle control and what not

Essentially the MS2 is a single high current coil drive - COP doable but mods needed - can help you to do it if you like* - we did my Mk1 MR2 (4A-GE) and Mk2 MR2 Turbo (3S-GTE) using similar MS2 set ups.

Phones aren't for writing - they are for voice conversations - FaceAche, Twatter, FriendFace are for people that don't (need to)** shave yet and use the word "album" ironically. I'm off back to my cave

*I'm also in Hampshire

**Full disclosure - I grew a beard this year to get it of my "to do" list before my 40th

[Edited on 17/8/17 by Gersen]

Gersen - 10/9/17 at 02:32 PM

Bump before ebay

Smiithyy - 11/9/17 at 12:32 PM

Do you still have this?

Would you split from the relay board as I already have a brands hatch loom/board.

If so how much for just the MS? also would it be supplied with the connectors and the serial cable?

Thanks

Gersen - 11/9/17 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Smiithyy
Would you split from the relay board as I already have a brands hatch loom/board.

Can do but the loom to relay board makes the ECU plug straight to the distribution board
quote:
Originally posted by Smiithyy
If so how much for just the MS? also would it be supplied with the connectors and the serial cable?

I can supply a serial cable for sure. What do you mean by "the connectors"? Are you asking for the ECU-to-relay-board loom to chop up for your existing set up?

cheers

Tom

Smiithyy - 13/9/17 at 06:31 AM

By connector I mean the 14? Pin plug, sorry only played with megajolt so not sure on the number of pins but the main loom plug.

What price would u be looking at for just the ECU serial cable and loom plug?

Thanks

luthor1 - 13/9/17 at 10:08 AM

Hi there,

the ECU itself has a Serial port connector at one end to connect it to a Laptop in order to perform the mapping.

The other end of the ECU is the connector that goes off to the car to operate the engine. In this case, a cable goes to the optional "Relay Board" and the relay board has little screw terminals that you screw in the wires from your engine loom (assuming you cut the loom plug off the original engine loom and want to wire in directly).

This is the way the ECU + Relay board works.

If you have all the relays on the car already, you don't need the relay board, then the ECU will just have a loom coming off it that goes off to a custom engine loom.

Hope that helps.

The 'connectors' are available for each end of the ECU if you wanted to make your own loom for pence from RS or Farnell

Andy

Gersen - 13/9/17 at 10:36 AM

What he said

If you want the best value to save your bucks then:-

DB37 female to connect to the ECU - obviously you are making your own connector between your relay board and the ECU - about £2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/332142593247

DB9 male to DB9 female straight through serial cable to program the ECU - about £2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-Serial-EXTENSION-Cable-Lead-9pin-DB9-M-F-RS232-6ft-/120442655431

If you don't have a serial port on your computer to program then a USB to serial convertor - about £3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-USB-to-RS232-9-Pin-DB9-RS-232-COM-Port-Serial-Convertor-Adapter-Cable-Wire-/162027019888

You can have the ECU, loom and relay board for £250 plus delivery.

Smiithyy - 13/9/17 at 05:58 PM

Thanks for info.
So you wouldn't really split? Ideally the ECU only with info provided is all I'd be after

Gersen - 15/9/17 at 06:20 PM

No really sure what I can help with as I just offered you £75 off and threw the rest in thinking you could of sold the bits you don't need.

Couple of thoughts:

You're on a budget
There's a couple of built megasquirts on eBay atm (albeit lower spec MS1's) - one for £250 Buy It Now buuuuut....there's another at £82 with a couple of days left to run. Prolly go for £180 ish at a guess? As the MS1 kits are about £300 and then build yourself that's probably the cheapest route? As cost reduction appears to be the main concern I recon you could save a few quid.

You need the spec of the MS2 V3 but are intimidated to make your own
The MS2 V3's are around £375 for the kits and build yourself? However - you can do the research and pick your own bits - you just have to put a bit of learning time in is all - the only pita is the programming the chips but if you're talented enough to build a car you can handle an oscilloscope and a soldering iron! The forums have all the info - I'm assuming if you've build an MJ you're up for that

HTH

GL with the build

Gersen - 16/9/17 at 06:44 PM

'Tis on the Bay of E with no reserve and a starting price of £0.01 and free postage

FIGHT (I put 20 quaatloos on the human)

/me plays Amoktime music from StarTrek TOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0

pigiron - 16/9/17 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gersen
'Tis on the Bay of E with no reserve and a starting price of £0.01 and free postage

FIGHT (I put 20 quaatloos on the human)

/me plays Amoktime music from StarTrek TOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dnZHea_TI0

Item number ? ... thanks

Gersen - 17/9/17 at 10:09 AM

It's scheduled for a Sunday 730PM finish so that means it goes "live" at 730PM tonight.

Gersen - 17/9/17 at 07:19 PM

Megasquirt 2 V3 ECU Engine Management with Loom and Relay and Fuse Board

There ya go