Board logo

Looking for K-series
drt - 23/10/17 at 11:14 PM

I'm looking for someone who would be willing to trade a K-series (1.8 pref) (pref distributer engine as I'm going for carbs) with gearbox (fwd) and driveshafts for;

2001 Saab 9-3 2.0T engine 90 000km on the clock.
incl ancillaries, rad, gearbox (shortest ratio one that was commercially available), Turbo, manifolds, throttle body, airbox incl sensor, ECU, fuel rail, injectors...everything needed.
New HG, waterpump and work on the head done when HG was replaced.

Pictures on the forum, when I can get around the photobucket-gate

cheers

drt - 24/10/17 at 09:52 AM

Might be interested in buying...
if the price is right

britishtrident - 24/10/17 at 06:56 PM

I think you are going down a blind alley looking for a distributor engine. The pre EU3 standard 1.8 distributor used on the Freelander only contains a rotor arm --- but no ignition trigger, and no centrifugal advance.
The only K engines with traditional distributors were early 90s carb equipped engines . You can fit a distributor to any coil on plug K engine just by pressing a distributor drive into the end of the camshaft or changing the cam

[Edited on 24/10/17 by britishtrident]

drt - 24/10/17 at 07:08 PM

Thanks,
I'm not very in the know about the specifics, but you realized that already.
So it's always down the megajolt route bar the earliest 1.4's ?
Thanks again.

vinnie_b23 - 26/10/17 at 07:57 AM

I have a 1.8vvc engine and gearbox available.
Includes all ancillaries apart from driveshafts.

danmalkin - 28/10/17 at 09:41 PM

There should be plenty of engines available with a distributor. All of the EU1 and EU2 k-series engines run a distributor and separate coil. I have EU1 in my Caterham built from a 1400ss engine onto an 1800 bottom end,
I think the early VVC engines were also EU2. Distinguishable by the rocker cover and insert being different to the later cars with built in coil packs.

scimjim - 29/10/17 at 08:55 PM

Anything with MEMS (pre MEMS2) should have a dizzy shouldn't it?

I think the only K series with carbs were the 1.1 & 1.4 8v BT?

drt - 30/10/17 at 10:30 AM

Hi,

Now I'm getting confused.
For simplicity's sake I'm only looking at 1.6 and 1.8 engines...
Say Rover200/400/25/75 and MG F.

They have dizzy caps,
but 'britishtrident' stated that they are only rotor arms... So how is the timing controlled then ?

These dizzy's have 2 connections it appears, so one for the coil and one for the ECU to control a ? servo motor ?

drt - 30/10/17 at 10:47 AM

On another tangent...
Does the MEMS run outside the car.
Or does it need several bits (controllers) from various systems and/or modification ?

danmalkin - 30/10/17 at 11:05 AM

Might be worthwhile giving Dave Andrews a call... (DVA power) or look up his site where he has a load of info on the k-series..

simon h - 30/10/17 at 01:45 PM

The distributor on the 1.6 and 1.8 K is only that, a fixed mechanical distribution device. The ignition timing is all done by the ECU and is not influenced by the distributor other than to which cylinder it goes to.

The MEMS will run if you have the 5AS unit and the plippers to go with the ECU. They are all matched together and probably are getting hard to have re-matched these days.

Easiest way to go is an Emerald plug and play ECU as it is plug matched to the Rover loom. This could probably be used as a ignition only unit if you want to use carbs.

drt - 31/10/17 at 07:50 PM

Dear simon,

But the cap of a rotor arm that is fixed to the camshaft still has to rotate surely :p
So just the vacuum or RPM advance thingies are replaced by the ECU.

So I need the (5as) immobilizer and the ?plippers?
Are those the RFID from the keyfob and the receiver ring from the ignition ?

It's a budget build sadly enough...

Hmm I'm wondering what would happen if you let the MEMS deal with ignition and leave the injection off?
limp home :s

simon h - 1/11/17 at 10:32 AM

Yes, the rotor arm rotates but is fixed. It has no advance/retard capabilities was what I was trying to say, taken care of by the ECU.

Yes, the 5AS is required that must be matched to the ECU and plippers (key fob) didn't know what you would know it as! The 5AS has the aerial for this in one of its plugs so you will need a bit of a wiring loom from a Rover or similar.

Why would you bother with carbs if you run the mems? It will have the injectors and plenum with it unless you cant fit them under your bonnet.

You probably could use the mems without injectors but I wouldn't recommend it myself.

drt - 4/11/17 at 12:58 PM

I've sold the engine
And found a K-series

So the topic may be closed.

We could continue the discussion in the build thread.

Thanks for all the help.

*If the cap is controlled with stepper motors it was going to be easy to control the ignition via a diy arduino or similar.
But that is now irrelevant since I bought a non-dizzy K because it came wrapped in a rover45 for the price of a hubcap XD

*I'll start of now by running the whole rover setup and maybe alter it when it's on road.

*Why carbs ? Nostalgia

SJ - 4/11/17 at 09:22 PM

quote:

*Why carbs ? Nostalgia

They are also very simple and work great. My Zetec on zx6r Mikunis is fab.