Board logo

Domestic charger for electric vehicles
David Jenkins - 17/11/19 at 04:31 PM

I've just had a new 'smart' Zappi EV charger installed, so my original one is up for sale.

It's a Chargemaster 7KW Type 2 charger, with a key lock, a little over 1 year old. 'Type 2' is the connector for most modern electric cars (Type 1 can be connected with an adaptor). It's in very good condition as it was mounted inside my garage.

Charger 2
Charger 2
charger 3
charger 3

It comes with:

The price is £200, including delivery.

I strongly recommend that the buyer gets this installed by a professional electrician as it needs to be wired into its own circuit in the consumer unit. Wiring is very easy, but it needs to be done properly and safely - there's a hell of a lot of current involved (up to 30A) when in use. Note that the latest regulations may require an earthing rod if this is mounted outside (it is fully weather-resistant).

Why has it been replaced? Since its installation we have had solar panels installed - the new Zappi charger can be set up to charge the car either entirely from solar, a mix of grid and solar, or all from the grid. Obviously in the winter the chances of getting a good charge are slim, but even today the solar panels were providing 50% of the charge.