Board logo

Yellow Paint
RichardK - 11/8/09 at 07:27 PM

Where the cheapest place for paint locally? Need some yellow paint, like the jcb stuff, the bay brings allsorts up and delivery is fairly steep so would prefer to just go a collect and smallish tin. Any ideas??

Cheers

Rich

speedyxjs - 11/8/09 at 07:29 PM

What sort of paint is it that you are after?

mookaloid - 11/8/09 at 07:33 PM

homebase?

RichardK - 11/8/09 at 07:34 PM

Sh1t, knew I'd forget something! smooth metal paint, matt or gloss don't really care, just refurbed my hilma pipe bender and want it to look original.

Like this

Cheers

Rich

r1_pete - 11/8/09 at 07:36 PM

Yellow engine enamel, available at most car accessory shops....

speedyxjs - 11/8/09 at 07:36 PM

Can you get hammerite in yellow?

RichardK - 11/8/09 at 07:39 PM

Thought of hammerite but in my experience it chips easy on stuff that gets a battering, but may do, didn't think of engine enamel, can it be sprayed, if so what thinners would I use?

Cheers

Rich

hillbillyracer - 11/8/09 at 07:41 PM

Try a decent Agric engineers/suppiles place, we're a bit too far off in Cumbria but we keep all the common colours for agricultural stuff including JCB yellow, 1litre tins of synthetic paint for something like £10-12.
The brand we have is Farm Line I think by Eagle Paints, a bit too thick for brushing without thinner so you'll likley need some of that too if it's the same stuff.
Try you local panel & paint place, mabye they'll have a tin of mixed stuff the wrong shade for someone that they'll flog you on the cheap?
Mabye even try your local JCB dealer?

r1_pete - 11/8/09 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Thought of hammerite but in my experience it chips easy on stuff that gets a battering, but may do, didn't think of engine enamel, can it be sprayed, if so what thinners would I use?

Cheers

Rich

The last I used was cellulose based, and sprayed well with celly thiners.

[Edited on 11/8/09 by r1_pete]

Wadders - 11/8/09 at 07:57 PM

B&Q sell japlac, which is lovely to brush on, fast drying and tough.
Just done the front wheel on an R1 with a brush,
and it dried to a high gloss with no brush marks whatsoever.

Al.

cjtheman - 11/8/09 at 09:13 PM

hi
we use that colour in work for barriers and industrial machine grabs
might be able to get you some if you still need some
cheers
colin

trextr7monkey - 11/8/09 at 10:59 PM

Your local trade paint place - Leyland or similar should stock Rustoleum paint- brush or spray + suitable primer -[needed for fibre glass but not metal], the colour you are looking for is King Cup. We did the frame of a Scamp with it once and have also used it on glass fibre, sticks like the proverbial .
atb
Mike

RichardK - 12/8/09 at 10:00 AM

Thanks gang, I remembered a guy I know has a tool hire place so rung him to ask his advice, he kindly offered to give me some Result!

Cheers

Rich