Board logo

Help!
PAULD - 16/4/10 at 04:00 PM

I need to change the front springs on my sons '98 mondeo. Mr Haynes says that I need to remove the whole upright/strut assembly. Is this necessary or can I just separate it at the split clamp at the top of the upright and leave that on.

mcerd1 - 16/4/10 at 05:19 PM

not done a mondeo myself (done a few other cars like them though) I'm sure you will need to take it off

on the other hand it shouldn't be that big a job though, and its easy to swap the spring once the struts in vice
I'd guess the strut is only held on by 3 or 4 small bolts at the top +the bottom balljoint +the track rod end

have you got some decent spring compressors ? (they make the job a whole lot easier)

[Edited on 16/4/10 by mcerd1]

Mark G - 16/4/10 at 05:36 PM

You won't have room to remove the spring with the strut still in the hub. IIRC it's only 1 more bolt and the drop link to remove the strut from the hub anyway.

adithorp - 16/4/10 at 06:08 PM

The leg has to come off. Be very,VERY carefull. Mondeo springs are rather long with few coils and require compressing a long way. As a result like to escape from the spring compressors... and when they do, they break anything that gets in the way, including your limbs.

Unless you've got a very good spring compressor I'd advise against doing the job.

adrian

rusty nuts - 16/4/10 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Unless you've got a very good spring compressor I'd advise against doing the job.

adrian

Have to agree with the above!

nick205 - 16/4/10 at 07:45 PM

Experience on other FWD cars says it will need to come right off, upright and all.

As above - be careful!

Brother in-law still has a scar on his lower leg where a Chevette spring escaped from the compressors many moons ago. Had him of his feet for a couple of weeks and he was very lucky it hit him in the calf and not the shin/knee.

ChrisW - 16/4/10 at 08:07 PM

It's a right b£$%rd of a job on a Mondeo. You'd be better off getting a pair of 'new' legs from a write off and just swapping everything over.

(I've got a pair of Mondeo legs with knackered shocks gathering dust in my workshop for this very reason!)

Chris

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/4/10 at 08:16 PM

Boing no fingers....has to come off and a good compression tool not the hook ones but the horse shoe ones. When they slip the go off like a bomb.

PAULD - 16/4/10 at 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks, I'll have serious thoughts before takling it!

prawnabie - 16/4/10 at 09:13 PM

I have a "proper" coil spring compressor if you need to borrow one - although I am in birmingham

UncleFista - 17/4/10 at 01:12 AM

I did a pair on a Mondeo with Clarke machine-mart cheapo spring compressors.

I didn't like it....

[Edited on 17/4/10 by UncleFista]

PAULD - 17/4/10 at 12:22 PM

Just been quoted £160 to do both sides. Probably go with it. I value my fingers more than that! thanks again folks.