Board logo

4age sump gasket
Bass1st - 12/8/10 at 09:57 PM

Mine is leaking so plan to change when I next do the oil. Thought I would asked before I spend 40 quid on a full lower set..!

cs3tcr - 12/8/10 at 11:04 PM

There wasnt one there when it left the factory, just RTV sealer. The aftermarket kits have a gasket, but its not a stock item.

rick q - 12/8/10 at 11:56 PM

Get the proper Toyota sealant - it works like a dream.

It's a bugger of a job with the engine in the car [ask me how I know!] because you have to cut through the old sealant to get the sump off. There's the sump and a windage tray then the block.

When you've cleaned it all up to put it back together, you need to work quickly to get the windage tray on, then the oil pickup then the sump before the sealant goes off.

There are about 18 bolts around the sump.

Bass1st - 13/8/10 at 07:53 AM

Thanks for the advise. I must have an aftermarket gasket on. Will get the sealant from Toyota.

bimbleuk - 13/8/10 at 10:15 AM

If you're not in a hurry in the past I've stuck the windage tray on first held it in place with the sump fixings. left it over night then did the rest of the sump the next day.

I've not actually used the Toyota stuff or a gasket myself. Oh and I convert the fixing to studs as well which can save some hassle (if you changed engines as often as I did anyway!)

[Edited on 13-8-10 by bimbleuk]

davew823 - 13/8/10 at 11:30 AM

I had the same problem, with my sump. The lip on the sump had been tighten down so much that I could not get it to seal, even after trying to flaten the sump lip. See if you can find an auto parts that is a FELPRO dealer. I pay $7 USD for the 2 gasket kit. the 2nd gasket for the windtray. Worked like a champ.
Dave W

blockhead_rich - 13/8/10 at 02:31 PM

I have an aftermarket 4age sump gasket that I never got rounf to using. U2u me if your interested in purchasing it.

Rich

Bass1st - 28/8/10 at 10:03 PM

Is there a recommended torque setting for the sump nuts?