Board logo

Blacktop Cams & Pullies
pigiron - 28/11/12 at 04:31 PM

For 2.0 Blacktop;

I'm in the market for a pair of aftermarket cams, nothing too radical as I wish to retain the biscuit type shims/followers.

Pullies would be welcome too.

Fizzer - 28/11/12 at 07:25 PM

Standard cams gave about 150hp (with weber 45's)
I ran phase 3 newman cams, with 36mm chokes on my standard blacktop (apart from arp rod bolts) which made 170hp
after porting and 40mm chokes (with jetting to suit) its up to 195hp but bottom end has suffered a bit.

Can't remember the make of my verniers but they are good 6 bolt jobbies, I've seen 3 bolt verniers which make me V nervous.

pigiron - 29/11/12 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fizzer
Standard cams gave about 150hp (with weber 45's)
I ran phase 3 newman cams, with 36mm chokes on my standard blacktop (apart from arp rod bolts) which made 170hp
after porting and 40mm chokes (with jetting to suit) its up to 195hp but bottom end has suffered a bit.

Can't remember the make of my verniers but they are good 6 bolt jobbies, I've seen 3 bolt verniers which make me V nervous.

Are you running the Newman phase 3 cams with the standard bucket / shim set up ... no probs with the shim tipping up?

Fizzer - 29/11/12 at 03:44 PM

Std shims.
I had to take a tiny amount of material off the head around the buckets with a dremal to allow the cams to rotate freely.
the shims are noisier when you crank by hand - worryingly so. But Newman assured me that this was normal and its been fine.
as quiet while running as normal cams (need to reshim though as they will be out)

Andy

pigiron - 29/11/12 at 10:39 PM

Andy, thanks very useful info.