Board logo

bicycle storage options
nick205 - 29/11/17 at 01:32 PM

Hello all,

Having now converted my garage into another bedroom I have a family of 5 people's bicycles in my garden shed. Rather than have them all piled up on each other I sourced some cheap wall hooks so each bicycle is stood upright on its rear wheel with the front wheel in the hook. It's working in terms of the bikes not being piled up, but my kids really struggle with getting the bikes on/off the hooks - I generally have to tidy up when I get home.

Can anyone suggest an alternative (more accessible) way to store them?

Thanks,
Nick

Daf - 29/11/17 at 04:52 PM

Have you seen the ones that hook under the seat/bars and you pull them up a little bit like a roller blind to get them above head height? Could you do something along these lines but with your single hook through front wheel?

My experience with kids though is it doesn't matter how simple or easy it is to put something away - you as the parent will inevitably end up doing it!

As a keen cyclist the other option I wold suggest is buy your kids carbon fibre bikes so they are easier to lift into the hooks

Andybarbet - 29/11/17 at 07:58 PM

I have one of these & it's quite good. Hangs the bike from the wall using the pedal.

https://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/bike-store-pedalo?cr=fgl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIua_s8bHk1wIVhjLTCh0VlQpZEAQYASABEgIhYvD_BwE

Also sold on ebay if you search for Mottez wall bicycle

You could possibly put the kids bikes lower on the wall & the adult ones higher with these brackets.

nick205 - 30/11/17 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Have you seen the ones that hook under the seat/bars and you pull them up a little bit like a roller blind to get them above head height? Could you do something along these lines but with your single hook through front wheel?

My experience with kids though is it doesn't matter how simple or easy it is to put something away - you as the parent will inevitably end up doing it!

As a keen cyclist the other option I wold suggest is buy your kids carbon fibre bikes so they are easier to lift into the hooks

Thanks for the reply.

Seen the rising hook type holders, but I think the truth of it is (as you say) it's invariably the parent that ends up doing it.

Carbon fibre! I ride steel framed bikes myself and with 3 growing kids bikes to buy I go at the value for money (cheaper) end of the scale That said the bikes do get handed down as they grow out of them

nick205 - 30/11/17 at 08:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
I have one of these & it's quite good. Hangs the bike from the wall using the pedal.

https://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/bike-store-pedalo?cr=fgl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIua_s8bHk1wIVhjLTCh0VlQpZEAQYASABEgIhYvD_BwE

Also sold on ebay if you search for Mottez wall bicycle

You could possibly put the kids bikes lower on the wall & the adult ones higher with these brackets.

Thanks also for the reply.

I've seen these and if we had more wall space and height (8' x 12' single storey shed) then they could be an option. However I suspect (know) it'd still be down to me to put the bikes away on them.

Didn't mention before, but there's 2 parents and 3 kids - I have 2 bikes and oldest son has 2 as well so a total of 7 bikes to accommodate! Plus mower, tools, body boards, wheel barrow and more stuff.

[Edited on 30/11/17 by nick205]

peter030371 - 30/11/17 at 09:53 AM

No perfect answer

We have 10 bikes between 6 of us. My carbon bike is fixed to the garage wall (mainly because of its value and it looks good above the Striker), my first MTB from 1991 is in my barn going very rusty waiting for a complete rebuild, 3 adult MTB are in the garden shed (and always in the way) and the rest (mix of adult MTB and kiddies bikes) are squeezed into a '3 bike sized' bike store.....getting them in and out is a bit like a game of Jenga and the kids normally give up and have to get us to help

With all that we sound like a bike mad family but in truth none have been ridden now since September!

nick205 - 30/11/17 at 01:41 PM

True - some are ridden more than others!

No. 1 son is bike mad and still has his out most of the weekend if it's dry.

I used to have my road bike on a turbo trainer in what was my garage - not so any more although I'd like to find a way of using it on the turbo again.

Robbaa - 30/11/17 at 02:10 PM

i had a similar issue and purchased a mini shed/log store for all the bikes to go in

Partofthechaos - 1/12/17 at 11:34 AM

You sound like you are looking for one of these: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=srHIJ18DwA8

A bit pricy, especially for 7 of them, but I wonder if there is a locost solution?

nick205 - 6/12/17 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Partofthechaos
You sound like you are looking for one of these: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=srHIJ18DwA8

A bit pricy, especially for 7 of them, but I wonder if there is a locost solution?

Pretty cool! There's an electricity supply to the shed already too

As you say though an "locost" approach is what I'm looking for.

Mr Whippy - 6/12/17 at 01:15 PM

Spray them with light oil so the kids can just dump them on the lawn as usual.

How about a simple bike parking stand/rack and knock up a basic lean too roof over it at the back of the garden or garage? even Halfords sells racks for around £50 for ones with 4 spaces.