Board logo

Wanted carbon fibre sheet
chicade - 14/1/18 at 11:51 AM

As per title I’m after some real carbon fibre sheet to do my tunnel top and rear boot cover on my Mk indy 0.5mm is ok as I can go over the existing plastic if needs be or 2/3 mm if replacing

Tonesta - 14/1/18 at 01:36 PM

Hi

try nvcarbon search for them in google is easiest

peter030371 - 14/1/18 at 02:02 PM

I have used CF for tunnel top, sides and part of the front bulkhead+scuttle on my Striker and its about 1.2mm finished thickness. This is instead of aluminium and is much lighter (about half the weight) and so far seems plenty strong enough. I had mine sitting around for years (about 12!) but other than Carbon-NV you can also try Easy Composites who look a little cheaper or ebay.

I got some Perma-Grit tools (sanding block and jigsaw blade) from Easy Composites to make it easier and neater to work with carbon.

[Edited on 14/1/18 by peter030371]

APR - 14/1/18 at 03:52 PM

found this
http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/westfield/westfield-bodywork/carbon-sheet-110cm-x-47cm.html

SPYDER - 14/1/18 at 04:13 PM

Carbon tunnel? Couldn't agree more! We did ours in 1mm sheet sourced through the back door of a local factory. The sheets were seconds but it doesn't show. Easy to cut with a treadle guillotine or bench knife.

peter030371 - 15/1/18 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Carbon tunnel? Couldn't agree more! We did ours in 1mm sheet sourced through the back door of a local factory. The sheets were seconds but it doesn't show. Easy to cut with a treadle guillotine or bench knife.

I do like the look of your chassis

but how do you cut carbon with a knife?

SPYDER - 18/1/18 at 03:14 PM

Sometimes called bench shears. We always called it a bench knife.

peter030371 - 18/1/18 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Sometimes called bench shears. We always called it a bench knife.

That makes more sense now I had images in my head of you slicing through carbon with a Stanley knife