m8kwr - 27/1/20 at 06:31 PM

Hi

Does anyone have 1 or 2 half shafts for a koln axle

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
Hi

Does anyone have 1 or 2 half shafts for a koln axle

What size axle? I'm changing my Koln 54" axle for a Capri 52" English. Still on car at the moment...but halfshafts easily removed when my new slide hammer arrives.

m8kwr - 3/2/20 at 10:16 AM

Hi

Length is 733mm. And uses a 72-76mm bearing I believe.

I believe there were 2 types. I think the one I have is from a mk3-5 2.3l

But who knows!!!

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 02:04 PM

Apparently the way to tell which you have is the distance from the diff flange to the casing. Big gap (15mm?) light duty axle; small gap heavy duty. I'm pretty sure mine's a light duty axle, which is why I'm changing it for an English with 16t half shafts and LSD. That and a big weight saving...

m8kwr - 3/2/20 at 02:52 PM

I have a feeling the one I have is heavy duty as a small gap.

It if you remove them and can give them bearing a measure that would be appreciated

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 03:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
I have a feeling the one I have is heavy duty as a small gap.

It if you remove them and can give them bearing a measure that would be appreciated

Will do; but I'm pretty sure they are different to yours.

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 06:10 PM

I think you have the Atlas axle which has 16 spline halfshafts. In which case there are a pair on EBay right now which should fit.

m8kwr - 3/2/20 at 06:29 PM

I have the 22 spline. So might be the light duty ones. That could be the problem!

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 06:50 PM

The Koln axle is considered to be quite weak, especially with those long halfshafts. May I ask what car is it in, and what engine?

m8kwr - 3/2/20 at 06:52 PM

It is in a tiger super 6, 2.0 zetec now, used to have a 2.0 pinto in.

Memphis - 3/2/20 at 09:11 PM

Probably not what you want to hear, but you could change it for a shorter, stronger axle and use wheels with more negative offset, or use a Cortina heavy axle. Yours is definitely a light duty axle if it has 22 spline shafts and diff.

The problem with the Koln axle is that it's very heavy but also very weak.