Board logo

Colouring GRP using something else
Mr Whippy - 17/4/09 at 10:45 AM

Hi guys

I’m making some GRP bits for my bike tomorrow and I need them black, rather than paint it I was thinking of colouring the resin. Unfortunately I don’t have and colouring powder.

What can I use instead? These bits are going to get wet so I don’t want to use any powder that might leak out or stain, like powder paint etc if thats what would happen??

Any ideas

Hammerhead - 17/4/09 at 10:46 AM

glitter?

or more seriously, would charcoal work?

or plasticote from a jar (not aerosol) don't know if it will have an adverse chemical reaction or not

[Edited on 17/4/09 by Hammerhead]

[Edited on 17/4/09 by Hammerhead]

Dangle_kt - 17/4/09 at 10:48 AM

vinyl? Vans are covered in the stuff, seen a sky van with those cool graphics on?

They are just big sticky sheets of vinyl.

You can get loads of different colours and can get them to look really good.

Did you see the union jack lotus that was recently done? Used vinyl and looks like a brilliant spray job.

Vid of the fitting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnIop7jF-8c&feature=related

that is part 2, part 1 is also on youtube.

[Edited on 17/4/09 by Dangle_kt]

[Edited on 17/4/09 by Dangle_kt]

Mr Whippy - 17/4/09 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
vinyl? Vans are covered in the stuff, seen a sky van with those cool graphics on?

They are just big sticky sheets of vinyl.

You can get loads of different colours and can get them to look really good.

Did you see the union jack lotus that was recently done? Used vinyl and looks like a brilliant spray job.

Sorry probably didn't make it clear enough, I meant adding colouring to the lay-up resin so I don't have to paint the parts afterwards and they also can't chip or scratch the finish of

jambojeef - 17/4/09 at 10:55 AM

What you making?

tomgregory2000 - 17/4/09 at 11:00 AM

Go and get some propper resin pigment

You know it makes sense

Mr Whippy - 17/4/09 at 11:13 AM

Making ehem like holders for my new saddle bags, need them for a trip up to peterhead on monday. Bit like odd shaped GRP trays that the bags sit in. What is the normal pigment, if iirc it is a right messy powder until its mixed with the resin. Might do a test with some powder paint to see if it is totally fixed in. I'll got to asda now and by some

smart51 - 17/4/09 at 11:15 AM

I reckon that any black powder would probably work. Make a test batch first though to see.

Do you have any black powder to hand? Black powder paint. Two lumps of coal you could rub together? A piece of carbon fibre and a bench sander? Charcoal? Some hammerite?

You only need a spoonful of gel and about an hour for it to go off to do some tests.

jambojeef - 17/4/09 at 11:15 AM

Stick up a pic when they're done...

Folded sheet ally no good then?

flibble - 17/4/09 at 11:34 AM

Hold off for a couple of days and go for proper pigment (linky), it's only a fiver

[Edited on 17/4/09 by flibble]

Mr Whippy - 17/4/09 at 11:38 AM

yeah I have grp suppliers I use already but can't wait. Just bought some paint, I'll mix a small batch up and test it first. I'll let you know if its water proof

paulbeyer - 17/4/09 at 11:55 AM

What about the black powder you get in toner cartridges and photo copiers?

mad4x4 - 17/4/09 at 12:09 PM

Pop into Gill's the Paint supplier in Altens or Try Balmoral next to BugerKing they should have pingments.

Mr Whippy - 17/4/09 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
Pop into Gill's the Paint supplier in Altens or Try Balmoral next to BugerKing they should have pingments.

Cool thats on my way and I'm leaving at 3

thanks

clairetoo - 17/4/09 at 03:28 PM

If you wernt in a rush I could bung some black pigment in the post........got loads at work