Board logo

Linisher
David Jenkins - 18/6/09 at 12:06 PM

In the past I've used a linisher, and was mightily impressed (if you've never seen one, imagine a belt sander mounted vertically on the bench, designed specifically for removing metal). It's like a file on steroids, with the only down-side being that the metal gets hot and you end up with burnt fingers!

Over the past few weeks I've been trying to make fiddly little bits out of some very gnarly 25mm x 5mm stainless steel, and I'm getting very bored with it.

I'm thinking that a small linisher would be a great thing to have, as they're also good for grinding lathe tools in HSS.

Trouble is, I do some googling and all I can find are BIG ex-industrial units, or cheap and very nasty combined grinder/linishers that - when the seller's being honest - are only useful for wood, plastic or aluminium.

Can anyone suggest a smallish linisher that can be used on a bench, suitable for everything up to steel?

tendoshingan - 18/6/09 at 12:19 PM

Get a B & D finger file.
Powerfile link
I used mine for practically everything.
Definitely the best tool I used during my build.
Put it in a vice and it is ideal for what you want it used for.

blakep82 - 18/6/09 at 12:20 PM

would a flap wheel for the angle grinder be useful? better than buying a whole new tool anyway

[Edited on 18/6/09 by blakep82]

David Jenkins - 18/6/09 at 12:29 PM

The flap-wheel wouldn't be precise and/or controlled enough do the job, and it would be pushing the powerfile's limits - with a proper linisher the belt runs across a flat metal backing plate and (usually) the rest-plate can be adjusted to all sorts of angles. This means that you can grind a dead flat edge at whatever angle you like.

It's also much easier to run a piece of metal 25mm x 30mm against a belt when it's running on a hefty machine that's solidly mounted.

It's a bit hard to explain to anyone who's never used one - it comes into the category of a "cool tool to have"!

f1ngers - 18/6/09 at 12:46 PM

I picked up this at a local boot sale for £12 with 2 air drills thrown in!

Linisher
Linisher

Best tool in the workshop, i don't know how I ever managed without one. Haven't used a file since I got it except for holes. Gets used for all sorts of jobs and works well with an 80 grit belt on steel, aluminium, ceramic tiles, wood etc. Checkout Screwfix under Benchtop & Woodworking for similar ones.

David Jenkins - 18/6/09 at 01:25 PM

That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I'm looking for! I'm jealous!

Mr Whippy - 18/6/09 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I'm looking for! I'm jealous!

in that case I think these guys are selling second hand equipment and they have this for sale -

linky

trextr7monkey - 18/6/09 at 06:08 PM

Hegner made a very small one - we have one at work and one of the guys keeps his chisels in trim on it. Keep your eye on e bay I guess

scottc - 18/6/09 at 06:16 PM

You should look at what the custom knife makers do and make your own:-

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22439

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82369

And you could make me one too.

Fred W B - 18/6/09 at 07:02 PM

This is mine, extremely usefull tool

Cheers

Fred W B

linish
linish