Board logo

Removing internal circlip, without holes?
ReMan - 3/4/11 at 06:49 PM

Got a kit of seals to rebuild thge Saab master cylinder.
Unfortunatly the main circlip that holds the lot together is blind and has no holes for circlip pliers

Any tips on how to prize it out before I get really cross or lose an eye?

hearbear - 3/4/11 at 06:54 PM

There is usually a small machined section on one end that you can get an eletrical screwdriver in to prise it out of the groove

Daddylonglegs - 3/4/11 at 07:00 PM

Yep, normally a nick in the end to get a driver in to open it a little, then get another little screwdriver in to lif ti. Worth using goggles too so you keep both eyes intact

rusty nuts - 3/4/11 at 07:13 PM

There isn't always a groove to be able to get behind the circlips out on a lot of items , try using a small pick type tool to get behind it . I had a Fiat Regatta wheel bearing with a similar problem that I wasn't able to get the circlip out from the hub , ended up drilling a small hole down the side of the hub to just below the circlip before I could get it out. Some Clio rear hubs are like it as well . Can't see any problem doing the same with a master cylinder as that end isn't under any stress but be careful you don't overdo it and clear out all of the swarfe

ReMan - 3/4/11 at 07:37 PM

Yes there def no groove to pick at and its a tightun!

Have made a groove with the dremel but still so stiff its barely budging and cant cut deeper in case i hit the piston

But I still have both eyes

MikeCapon - 3/4/11 at 07:48 PM

I've seen a few assemblies like this (not on cars or bikes tho) and the 'solution' was to drill a small hole in from the outside to enable a similar OD'd rod to compress the circlip. Then a pair of appropriately sized screwdrivers to lever out the circlip.

HTH

Mike

ReMan - 3/4/11 at 08:23 PM

I'm liking the side hole idea.
i'll give it a go tomorrow
Cheers