Board logo

Torque Wrench Brand Recommendations???
scootz - 7/4/14 at 08:31 PM

Evenin all.

Looking for brand recommendations for sensibly priced, but reasonably accurate torque wrenches.

Any opinions?

kingster996 - 7/4/14 at 08:39 PM

I've used the smaller Halfords Pro one for a long time, always been spot on.

theduck - 7/4/14 at 08:43 PM

Always happy with my halfords pro one to

loggyboy - 7/4/14 at 08:45 PM

How do you check if they are accurate?

SteveWalker - 7/4/14 at 08:47 PM

Put the drive square in a vice, with the handle horizontal and hang a known weight (or a spring balance) a foot from the pivot point?

kingster996 - 7/4/14 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
How do you check if they are accurate?
See how many times it strips the threads in an aluminium cylinder head:

Cheap shite wrench 2 - Halfords Pro 0

Cheap shite got slung after 2nd strip, Halfords one used for 15-20yrs ever since!

scootz - 7/4/14 at 08:55 PM

... off to the Halfords website...

Cheers guys!

Mr C - 7/4/14 at 09:03 PM

I use Carolus which are a sub group of German company Gedore, a high quality, "value" brand of a premium company. Shop around and you can get some good deals on Torque wrenches.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 7/4/14 at 09:10 PM

Halfords torque wrenches are v good and I believe there made by norbar if you have a halfords trade card you get a very big discount...

britishtrident - 7/4/14 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
... off to the Halfords website...

Cheers guys!

Most torque wrenches on the market at the moment are made by the same manufacturer and sold with different brand names.

Lidl ones are as good as any and about 1/5 the cost and they had them in stock last week, although I have Britool and a Churchill wrenches the Lidl ones are my preferedvtools.

With torque wrenches the most important thing to keep calibration is to unwind the setting adjuster to release the spring tension before storing the wrench after use.

kingster996 - 7/4/14 at 09:56 PM

quote:

With torque wrenches the most important thing to keep calibration is to unwind the setting adjuster to release the spring tension before storing the wrench after use.

+1 on that!

unijacko67 - 7/4/14 at 10:20 PM

I still have a couple left I think.

FS Torque Wrench

For sale, Roebuck Professional Torque Wrench ½ inch Square Drive. TW113 24-8030

Range 20-100 N.m.
15-80 lbf.ft.

Never been used, date of calibration 13/08/2002. These retail for just over £100, look them up on google.

Half price as I have taken 5 as part payment for a machine I have just sold. £55 to inc post uk mainland only.

BangedupTiger - 8/4/14 at 12:02 AM

Mine is a norbar.

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
quote:

+1 on that!

Thanks for this, never knew that.

jelly head - 8/4/14 at 07:12 AM

Seem to think the instructions for the halfords wrench advise not to fully unwind the tension from the spring.