carlknight1982 - 21/4/14 at 12:54 PM

Managed to break the bleed screw in swmbo rear caliper
Any tips on removing it ?

rusty nuts - 21/4/14 at 01:00 PM

Get the mig welder out and weld a nut on

carlknight1982 - 21/4/14 at 01:15 PM

Broken off flush and I don't think it's steel

llionellis - 21/4/14 at 01:33 PM

It probarbly is some kind of steel. I have done the following a couple of times and it worked for me. Get or make a largish washer that will fit over the broken nipple, weld the washer to the nipple. Get a suitable nut and weld a couple of flats to the washer. Unscrew the offending nipple out.

britishtrident - 21/4/14 at 01:57 PM

Unless you really really need to remove it leave it be.
There are ways to air out of callipers without opening the bleed nippple.

benners05 - 21/4/14 at 02:07 PM

have you tried a stud extractor like these?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht123-screw-extractor-wrench-set

Ben

loggyboy - 21/4/14 at 02:44 PM

This happened to me on my clio, I tried heat, cold, even complete removal and screw extractors, drillin, tapping. All failed so I ended up getting a new (used) set of callipers.

coozer - 21/4/14 at 02:58 PM

Use electrolysis, and after the pixies have done their magic overnight it will come out easy with a stud extractor.

My 20 year old Range Rover calipers looked like scrap and I was eyeing the bleed nipples with a sinking feeling, however electrolysis did the trick, everything came apart easy as...

SteveWalker - 21/4/14 at 03:40 PM

Another question is how much is a replacement caliper?

I recently broke a bleed nipple after fitting a new master cylinder to my kit-car. I tried welding to it, no luck. I tried helicoiling it and got no seal (it may be that the replacement nipple was too short or that the seat was damaged).

I happened to look on Ebay and saw that Sumo was selling remanufactured calipers for £30 each. I decided to replace the pair, but couldn't find how to combine the postage for express delivery, so I phoned and got the pair on next day delivery for £50 total!

Fatgadget - 21/4/14 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

..Such as?

Peteff - 22/4/14 at 08:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

..Such as?

You can get a banjo connector with a built in bleed point or bleed it via the union if it will open. There are kits such as the Fraser Brown nipple therapy ones to replace the nipple link.