3d Printed Lathe Gears - Boxford
thepest - 16/12/14 at 07:56 AM

They work well

3d printed Gears
3d printed Gears

HowardB - 16/12/14 at 08:47 AM

impressed

liam.mccaffrey - 16/12/14 at 09:03 AM

are they specials? How long did the take, how much did it cost you?

That's a pretty big change wheel how many teeth

Sorry for all the questions.

russbost - 16/12/14 at 09:17 AM

Impressive, can I ask what machine they are printed with & what type of filament used. How high a print resolution is required to get the gears to be strong enough to use?

Mr Whippy - 16/12/14 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Impressive, can I ask what machine they are printed with & what type of filament used. How high a print resolution is required to get the gears to be strong enough to use?

I suppose the resolution only needs to be good around the teath and the shaft hole. First time I've seen plastic parts strong enough for this tbh, though I have heard of working guns been printed off so they must be quite strong. cool

thepest - 16/12/14 at 02:03 PM

Hey guys, material is abs plastic.

Resolution in the X-Y plane is around 0.02mm so good enough for the teeth.
In the Z plane I used a layer height of 0.35mm and a fill ratio of 20%

These teeth are for a 1.25mm pitch thread so the gears are 40 Tooth, 127/100 Tooth for the idler and the final one is 80 tooth.

The large one took almost 6 hours to print. The smaller ones less.

Re price, the spool costs around 40 per KG so re cost I'm guessing a few quid in materials? Didn't factor my time as its more of a hobby.

This is my machine

theprisioner - 16/12/14 at 03:11 PM

Most impressed what format of file and what did you input the gear drawing from?

thepest - 16/12/14 at 07:18 PM

The file for 3d printing is an stl file. I used google sketchup to draw the gears.