Board logo

Cheap Corner Weighting?
bodger - 30/6/16 at 08:34 AM

Anybody tried these shipping scales as a cheapish alternative to professional corner scales? I've seen them on eBay for around £50 ea. Even if they're only accurate to 1 - 2kg they should be good enough. I wonder whether the display times out to save battery life? That could be a pain.

Jennings JShip 150kg Platform Scale

adampage - 30/6/16 at 08:37 AM

I'd think a lot of cars, even if they're under 600kg in total, will have some wheels over 150kg load when fully fuelled, and with a dummy in the driver seat to replicate real driving weight.

Weight won't be split evenly, so if you have a 60:40 split, which could easily happen, 60% of 600kg is 360kg, or 180kg per wheel.

Maybe they do a 200kg limit scale...

Good luck though, sounds a good idea, and just remember to pack up the other 3 wheels on some wood to equalise height.

Ad

gremlin1234 - 30/6/16 at 08:59 AM

quote:
Maybe they do a 200kg limit scale...
try https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0153I0418?psc=1

also there was a long thread on this fairly recently

loggyboy - 30/6/16 at 09:34 AM

300kg and cheaper
NEW! Heavy Duty Digital Postal Parcel Scales Weighing 150kg/300kg

redturner - 30/6/16 at 09:35 AM

It's ok using a set of scales but unless the floor is absolutely flat you are wasting your time. Can you make do with a lever arm type like lots of us do. I use one to keep my single seater set up and it works a treat.......

bodger - 30/6/16 at 09:49 AM

Sorry, somehow missed the previous thread about these.

quote:
Originally posted by redturner
It's ok using a set of scales but unless the floor is absolutely flat you are wasting your time. Can you make do with a lever arm type like lots of us do. I use one to keep my single seater set up and it works a treat.......

Doesn't the floor need to be level for level arm pressure scales too? What's the difference?

phelpsa - 30/6/16 at 10:01 AM

quote:

With all those absolutely flat roads and tracks we drive on

Myke 2463 - 30/6/16 at 10:43 AM

quote:

These are the ones i bought very good. bought 2 and do 1 axle at a time, the other axle is lifted up with a trolley jack in the centre with a small block of wood to allow it to pivot. Then the other axle.

[Edited on 30/6/16 by Myke 2463]

Mash - 30/6/16 at 10:44 AM

Block of wood under the other 3 wheels ?

redturner - 30/6/16 at 10:45 AM

All 4 scales need to be absolutely level all the way around. With the lever type, as long as the ground is reasonably flat it is quite accurate as long as the surface is smooth and the cards will slide out........

loggyboy - 30/6/16 at 11:07 AM

quote:
All 4 scales need to be absolutely level all the way around. With the lever type, as long as the ground is reasonably flat it is quite accurate as long as the surface is smooth and the cards will slide out........

Thats assuming you use 4. - If you have space you can set one up with a ramp (and ramp all 4 wheels to same level) then move the car around.

907 - 30/6/16 at 02:30 PM

I have some on order for the weekend. Forecast sounds a bit iffy.

Description
Description

Paul G

mark chandler - 30/6/16 at 06:27 PM

I have one of those 300kg jobs and three blocks to even the other wheels, took 1/2 hour to do the car. As the lcd display is on the end of a bit of wire you measure the weight when sitting where you drive drive the car, the scales work a treat.

They gave very repeatable results, the hard bit is working out where to twiddle to Balance and keep the car flat.

[Edited on 30/6/16 by mark chandler]