Board logo

Halfords tool cabinet
jps - 15/12/16 at 10:56 AM

I know the professional stuff gets good reviews - but has anyone got one of these? At £75 it looks tempting for Christmas!

ecember016_2017|kw:WK37WorkshopTools" target="_blank">Halfords 8drawr tool chest

Mangled the link above I think - but here's the url: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-8-drawer-tool-centre?cm_mmc=E-Mail-_-WK37-_-Workshop-_-Tools&cm_em=6B 12DE92-A5AD-4E8E-A839-776C03DE7982&_$ja=tsid:71018|cgnecember016_2017|kw:WK37WorkshopTools

[Edited on 15/12/16 by jps]

mookaloid - 15/12/16 at 11:18 AM

I have a similar one - it ain't snap on that's for sure. But for what I do it's fine and I expect it will last me as long as I want it to.

If you haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak it probably isn't as big as you think it is, so go and have a look before buying.

luke2152 - 15/12/16 at 11:44 AM

I just brought their 3 cabinet set and it is great for price. Nothing wrong with it but not as heavy duty as some. I don't think it would take too well to being loaded in a van every day as the handles are a bit flimsy but filling it with tools and wheeling it around the garage is fine.

loggyboy - 15/12/16 at 11:52 AM

I have the older version of the cheap one, but only paid £50 or £60 for it and its lasted ok, but draws are clunky and its only OK for a small selection of tools. Ive just upgraded to the professional versions which were on a Black friday deal for all 3 boxes for £199.

ianhurley20 - 15/12/16 at 01:05 PM

Brilliant thanks for posting - it comes with a 95 piece toolkit as well - I was looking for one of these :-)

coozer - 15/12/16 at 05:50 PM

I've got the black pro ones and to be honest they are OK but the drawers don't always latch and the small cabinet needs to have the lid up to unlock which means you cant pile any junk on top given is a nice flat thing its a shame...

[Edited on 15/12/16 by coozer]

ianhurley20 - 17/12/16 at 01:56 PM

Ok I've got mine home and it's interesting. The instructions for assembly are a bit poor but you eventually get their meaning (if all else fails read the instructions). The top box is inside the bottom box and you have to undo some clips to get the bottom floor facing panel off then unscrew the top box from it before bolting the castors and fittings in place. Mine was a bit difficult as it had been damaged on one corner on its journey from china to the store. Yes I could have taken it back but it was only a couple of moments to fix with hammer and dolly, it did make it a little difficult to separate though. A little while later and all together and no its not the best quality product but for me it will be a great help being able to wheel the tools to where they are to be used and will save me time clearing up at the end of a job.
The 95 piece toolkit has a useful doctors bag type tool-bag but the tools inside are made with er chocolate and would normally be seen at most market trader type stalls. No problem, most of these I have packaged up as Christmas presents for people who will probably only use them once and to whom quality is not an issue.

For me at £75 it is an ideal toolbox on wheels but if you are a professional try something better

Andybarbet - 17/12/16 at 02:17 PM

I have two of the old halfords 'stack on' toolchests & to be honest, they do exactly what I need, I think I paid £99 each in a sale, at least 12 years ago.

For me, I couldn't stretch to a few hundred quid each & I'm still really happy with them after all these years. I suppose if you threw tools in them & generally mistreated them, they wouldn't hold up as well but as funds are always tight for me so I tend to treat my stuff with some respect.

Matt21 - 17/12/16 at 07:55 PM

The professional range boxes are half price at the moment, much better buy if you ask me.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-7-drawer-ball-bearing-chest

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-5-drawer-ball-bearing-cabinet

nick205 - 19/12/16 at 11:55 AM

The boxes in you link look OK to me. Used with respect I can't see why they'd not work properly.

Some years ago I was (very generously) given a Snap-On top box. Fair to say it's very nice and works extremely well. A short while after I bought 2nd hand a Clarke wheeled tool chest. As above it's looked after and works very well for me. Reasonable tool storage makes a difference for me - easier to find stuff and put stuff away

ETA...Having 10 and 8 year old sons I've bought them their own tool boxes and learnt to lock my own. Keeps tools where they should be and not distributed around the house and garden.

[Edited on 19/12/16 by nick205]

jps - 19/12/16 at 05:01 PM

cheers guys - decided to pass up on the opportunity - i think i've avoided another impulse buy thanks to the feedback!