Board logo

One-off Parts (CNC etc)
daveb666 - 11/9/17 at 06:59 PM

I'm soon going to need some brackets made similar to the below.

Measurements tbh but roughly 50cm x 25-30cm from 8mm ally plate.

What should I expect to pay for these making - should I go to a local place or send my design off to one of the 'one-off' Internet places?

Thanks in advance.

Matt21 - 11/9/17 at 07:38 PM

If these are for mounting some wings... I'd think 8mm is a bit overkill! you'd probably be fine with 4-5mm! weight saving man!

My choice would be a grinder, dremmel, file and a powercoater friend.

I know, I'm no help at all

907 - 12/9/17 at 06:27 AM

50 off and I'd be sending drawings off for water jet/laser quotation,

but for 1 off it would be drill holes in the corners to match the radius and a 125mm slitting disc for the straights, sheet from eBay.

( I'm a little confused as the title says "1 off" and your text says "some brackets". )

Whatever cutting method is used to cut it/them there's going to be a lot of filing and rubbing down.
Your excellent drawing has a nice radius on all the cut edges.

As for cost it's whatever the cheapest quote comes back, or nothing if you do it yourself.

Paul G

[Edited on 12/9/17 by 907]

WallerZero - 12/9/17 at 07:18 AM

Find a local water cutters. Cheapest is you supply the material and CAD file, cash in hand. I had 2 wing mounts cut for £10 for the pair which were slightly bigger. It was the 8mm Ali that cost £30! I've used my local place a lot on my rebuild and they're much much cheaper than anything else - even laser!

nick205 - 12/9/17 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WallerZero
Find a local water cutters. Cheapest is you supply the material and CAD file, cash in hand. I had 2 wing mounts cut for £10 for the pair which were slightly bigger. It was the 8mm Ali that cost £30! I've used my local place a lot on my rebuild and they're much much cheaper than anything else - even laser!

Sounds the way to go to me.

8mm thick seems a lot though - could you not use a thinner material?