Board logo

Rivnut drill sizes...
Liam - 10/5/06 at 04:56 PM

Hi there

Bought some various sized rivnuts from one of the many stools at stoneleigh. Didn't think to ask what size drills i need for the holes. Anybody got any idea? I guess it depends on the rivnuts or something nasty like that? Should I just go by what my calipers say, or go a tiny bit smaller so the notches are nice and tight?

Any help appreciated,

Liam

stevec - 10/5/06 at 04:59 PM

The 6mm rivnuts I had were just right with a 9.5 mm drill.
Steve.

nitram38 - 10/5/06 at 05:00 PM

If you have got calipers then just measure the outside diameter of the bit that goes in the hole and use the same size drillbit. Test on a piece of scrap first to ensure the hole is a snug fit.

ned - 10/5/06 at 05:31 PM

they always seem to be the sizes i don't have and can't get easily locally - approx 7,9 & 11mm give or take for m5,6 & 8. i use a tapered rotary file type thing in the drill or a small rats tail file to take out an 8 or 10mm drill normally as i dont have exactly the right sizes.

Ned.

[Edited on 10/5/06 by ned]

RazMan - 10/5/06 at 07:27 PM

It also make a difference if the Rivnut is steel or ally - just measure with a vernier to get the drill size. The tighter the better.

[Edited on 10-5-06 by RazMan]

watsonpj - 10/5/06 at 09:29 PM

the right sizes are available on the rs website

http://rswww.com

just do a search for clinchnuts

drillsizes listed are

M5 = 7.14/7.23
m6 = 9.53/9.61
m8 = 10.6/10.68

this is for avdel clinchnuts
I also don't have the right drill bits just 7,9 and 10 and then I just do a light overdrilling (i should get a small rat tail file

) untill they fit. Always seems to work.

Liam - 10/5/06 at 09:53 PM

Cheers guys...

Mr Caliper wanted me to go and buy a 6.25mm drill, so I told him to sod off and used a 6.5mm. The rivnuts squished up behind a treat and now I have a lovely removable footwell panel - woo hoooo.

I have also fallen in love with rivnuts - they are awesome!! Hmmmmm... every single panel removable.......

Liam Rescued attachment DSCF0063small.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0063small.JPG

John Bonnett - 15/6/06 at 04:35 PM

Hi, Metric rivnuts are available in both imperial and metric outside diameters. You will find that you have the exact drill for the job if you possess a set of metric and imperial drill bits. For example, a metric M4 rivnut needs a 6mm hole and an M5 a 7mm hole. If you are unlucky to overdrill then you can use an imperial metric rivnut which needs a slightly larger hole. This sounds double dutch to me but I hope you can follow.

Cheers

John