Board logo

drill press
davie h - 28/12/07 at 01:44 PM

i got a vat free day card from machine mart today andthe wife has agreed to get me a drill press for my birthday. is this one any gooddrill press

drill press

[Edited on 28/12/07 by davie h]

big_wasa - 28/12/07 at 02:07 PM

the table on mine flexes with any presure making it hard to drill square.

The motor and drive have been fine.

Well worth having

r1_pete - 28/12/07 at 02:09 PM

Ive got this one:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cdp15f-drill-press.

Not too happy with it, all feels a bit tinny and weak, the tilting table slips easily and the gear mechanism is very flimsy.

Different machine I know, but the quality is likely to be the same.

I bought it to replace an old cast iron jobbie I got from an autojumble, wish I hadn't bothered.

Rgds.
Pete.

rj - 28/12/07 at 02:12 PM

Hi,I have a very similar one branded Nutools,and it was gutless, it had a Tiwan 1/4 hp motor and trying to drill a 1/4 " hole would stall the motor, I then fitted a British 1/4 hp motor and its far more powerfull. If I were buying again I would go for one of the slightly bigger drills from MM, but if you are happy with a small drill try Wickes , they do one for ,I think, £28

zilspeed - 28/12/07 at 02:32 PM

This one ?

[Edited on 28/12/07 by zilspeed]

davie h - 28/12/07 at 03:14 PM

yep sorry the pics are the same drill press its just that i posted the pic first and the page second. just wanted to know if anyone had one and if it was anygood.

cheers Davie

trextr7monkey - 28/12/07 at 03:25 PM

Probably too small for serious hole drilling - we have 3 or 4 of these which the kids use for drilling holes in circuit boards and bits of plastic but if it is metal youwant to drill I'd go for something a bit bigger.

Checkout the Sealey stuff as well as they usually have something on special offer if you dig out your local stockist but avoid the things with digital speed controls - a gut less gimmick inour experience!

JoelP - 28/12/07 at 06:53 PM

it looks similar to the one i had that was quite useful for the money. Cant remeber exact spec sadly. The bed does bend slightly if you press to hard. An adjustable vice makes a lot of difference. I drilled 16mm holes with mine easily, you have to go slow to stop it snagging but the harder it is to snag, the more dangerous it is!

remember you arent meant to wear gloves using stuff like this! A cut is much better than a 'pull'

[Edited on 28/12/07 by JoelP]

wilkingj - 28/12/07 at 07:46 PM

one of the test is to extend the chuck as fat as it will go down then try to pull it back to front and side ways.
ie see how much play there is when its fully extended, as this affects accuracy.

I good dril will not move much.

MikeRJ - 28/12/07 at 10:00 PM

All the MM pillar/bench drills have loads of slop (at least all the ones in my local branch) and this seems to be true of Chinese drills in general. You certainly wouldn't even consider trying any milling with it.

I was given a B&Q bench drill for Christmass a few years back, and its been useful, but I had to add some bracing to the bottom of the table as it flexed very badly if any pressure was applied.

Rhys aka Celtic Tools - 28/12/07 at 10:12 PM

FAITHFULL Drill Stand Heavy Duty
price: £38.95*

Postage costs:
£10.95*

* please ask about forum users discount

CLICK HERE TO VIEW PRODUCT

davie h - 28/12/07 at 10:42 PM

cheers for the replies. i need to go into machine mart when i get paid as i ran out of mig wire tonight so will have a look at the drill presses when there.

thanks Davie