Board logo

Painting Powder-Coated Chassis
scootz - 29/5/08 at 08:05 PM

Build nearly finished, but rust appearing on some (already powder-coated!) chassis rails.

Not enough to justify stripping brake lines, etc. off and re-powder-coating the whole thing, but I'm a fussy bugger so want it looking A1 when it rolls out of the garage.

So - what's the best way forward for touching up a powder-coated surface?

Is a rub down then prime / paint ok on such a surface?

Acid etch?

rusty nuts - 29/5/08 at 08:10 PM

Have recently stripped the powder coating from my front wishbones because of slight rusting. Bit like an iceberg really, things were a lot worse under the surface.Any rusty stains on the chassis and I will be stripping back to bare metal and treating accordingly PS Paint stripper seems to work well

[Edited on 29/5/08 by rusty nuts]

tom_loughlin - 29/5/08 at 08:17 PM

In work, we use a spray - think it's called rustoleum or something like that.
It is designed as a spray that mimics the effect of a powder coated finish, and looks the part.
Sand any rust with wet and dry, treat with krust or similar, then paint/spray on rustoleum in pretty thick coats.
It really is good stuff, but costs more than a tin of regular spray.

coozer - 29/5/08 at 09:19 PM

If theres just little bits that need touching up rub the rust out and use black nail varnish.

Bluemoon - 30/5/08 at 08:40 AM

This is why I don't like powder coat... Not helpfull, but if you have pin holes in the coating, your in trouble.. Not sure of the best approach! Photos might help.. As said if only a few small spots treat individually, but if it's rusting under neath the coating, trouble..

Dan