Board logo

New SSD harddrive
Dangle_kt - 23/6/12 at 10:13 AM

Built a new computer, and splashed £50 on a 60gb SSD harddrive as they are meant to be loads faster.

Well, after faffing around trying to get it built I can confirm HELL YEAH its fast!

Windows boots in a few seconds to a useable desktop, word, excel etc open instantly.

Well chuffed!

I'd recomend it as an upgrade - best bang for buck Ive had in a long time

Davegtst - 23/6/12 at 10:30 AM

I've had one since Christmas and i agree they are rapid. Makes some games of mine sooo much better, they are getting alot cheaper now too.

balidey - 23/6/12 at 10:51 AM

4 CAD machines in my office each have dual SSD in them.
Fast? Well hardly noticeable. I feel its more psychological than anything.
But we are now ripping them all out and putting conventional drives in as we are getting far too many crashes, disc checks and general failings. We have had days of down time, so any seconds we have saved with them is wasted.

MikeRJ - 23/6/12 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
4 CAD machines in my office each have dual SSD in them.
Fast? Well hardly noticeable. I feel its more psychological than anything.

I don't, it's a clearly measurable and very noticeable improvement in OS boot times and application load times. Some of the older devices were unreliable however.

Dangle_kt - 23/6/12 at 12:13 PM

maybe the cad machines are so high spec its not niticable, but on my home PC is a real WOW!

Xtreme Kermit - 23/6/12 at 01:13 PM

They have blistering read performance but the cheaper end of the market wont write all that fast if data has to be updated, as I understand they update large blocks of memory rather than just the track on a traditional disk.

If the cad machines are doing a lot of mixed read/write work it could even out the performance.

Pete - Kit Car Zone - 23/6/12 at 01:36 PM

Nice one! Yea with CAD I imagine the churn of data to and from it's causing it to lag for a bit.

Good result for a £50 investment thought.

Xtreme Kermit - 23/6/12 at 03:17 PM

Absolutely! I have a dead laptop I plan to put one in and pick up a Linux distro from somewhere...

Dangle_kt - 23/6/12 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Absolutely! I have a dead laptop I plan to put one in and pick up a Linux distro from somewhere...

I rescued my mum and dads old laptop, installed a replacement drive and banged linux mint 12 on it. Its now my garage companion!

Peteff - 23/6/12 at 05:01 PM

I had an old Sharp laptop given to me because the battery was shot and a replacement is about £80 but it works fine on the power pack. I wiped the drive and installed Xubuntu and it's a good toy now for internet browsing and free games. SSDs seem to be getting bigger and cheaper all the time and I might think about putting the OS on one in my next computer.

D Beddows - 24/6/12 at 02:48 PM

quote:

I had an old Sharp laptop given to me because the battery was shot and a replacement is about £80

Have you tried putting it in the freezer for a day or so? ( the battery that is!) I was deeply skeptical about it working but I've rejuvenated 3 'dead' laptop batteries now doing it - have a Google

[Edited on 24/6/12 by D Beddows]