Board logo

Advanced website info
xxx - 9/4/07 at 10:34 AM

Hi Guys,

I have an idea for a website (cant say exactly what) but Ive no idea how to go about setting it up.

It would be a myspace style website where people would be able to upload "profiles" with personal details and a few pics. Users would then search the profiles.

Ive done a bit of research and I think it needs to be a php or mysql type site? I know nothing about this at all. Also there are some websites offering php templates???

Can anybody suggest where I may read up or get info about setting a myspace style site up? IT/web forums or tutorial sites etc?

Thanks very much!

Colin

JamJah - 9/4/07 at 11:19 AM

Sorry what makes this idea unique and not one of the 1000s of social networks that are underpopulated?

If you talking about being able to 'import' data from serval of networks (ie to join your ringo pictures and your myspace blog) then this might have potential.

Personally I think your too late to get in on the action!

Keith Weiland - 9/4/07 at 11:25 AM

If you dont already know php or asp or some kind of scripting language then the learning curve would be too high to get anything done quickly. You could try something like Joomla for content managment then you would just need a module to do what you want , this you could hire someone to code for you for maybe £1000 or you might get lucky and get a student to do it cheaper. Either way I think JamJah is right and you've missed the boat by a couple years.

Confused but excited. - 9/4/07 at 01:13 PM

Ooo, sounds like one of those sites for 'Discerning people' with 'Sophisticated' tastes', seeking like minded people
Do we really need another 'Locost' site?

xxx - 9/4/07 at 01:21 PM

Thanks for your opinions guys....

I never said it would be a social networking site just that I would utilise some of the features those sites have. Same sort of concept for a totally different application

Thanks for the info keith, thats the sort of answer I wanted. If anyones got any more or any good website building forums it would be much appricated.

Cheers

And "confused but excited" its nothing to do with cars nevermind locosts