Board logo

Child of the seventies?
steve_gus - 28/7/05 at 09:20 PM

Having a few spare moments, i did some searching on retro stuff. One was the drink Cresta (anyone over 40 remember that?). I cam up with this neat little bit of writing, likely to go way over the head of anyone post 1970s.....

Can the Can
By Robin Parkinson

This beautiful can of Strawberry Cresta ('it's frothy, man' was going to be my passport to ecstasy. I trembled as I watched it rumble closer. Here was proof; prayers were answered. God had caused it to fall from her satchel, just as he had caused her to sit on just the right seat. I would scoop the can up and present it to her on bended knee. We would laugh. She would blush, bowled over by my manly savoir faire and my best purple loon-pants. I would invite her to my sister's party. She would blush again, and accept. At last it would really happen.

I had been feverish for weeks. From the day I saw her, Rebecca had completely replaced Suzi Quattro, and even the blonde one from 'Pan's People', in my dreams. My sister told me she was in the same year as me and she had just won her bronze medal for lifesaving. So had I! It was clear we were fated for each other.

The can lurched to a halt. So did my heart. 'Come on,' I begged it, 'Just a bit further'. The can considered this for a second, then shrugged its shoulders and continued towards me. This was better than when the new supply teacher had turned up in hot-pants, this was better than the strip-tease 'Pan's People' did, one unbelievable 'Top of the Pops', to 'Coconut Airways', this was better than playing 'Top Trumps' and beating a FW-190 with a Fiesler Storch! My head span. 'Now!' I thought. I reached forward and -

'This yours, love?' The burly hand of the conductor swooped down, swept the can up and handed it to her. 'Looked like he was going to nick it.'

Rebecca glanced at me. 'Yeah,' she said, 'He's like that. I don't like him. He's creepy.'

I stared at her for a long, shocked moment. Eyes stinging and ears burning I lunged from my seat and clattered down the stairs.

I took a different 'bus to school after that.

Snuggs - 29/7/05 at 08:19 AM

Memory may be starting to go but didn't Cresta come in bottles not cans ????

[Edited on 29/7/05 by Snuggs]

donut - 29/7/05 at 09:08 AM

Yup sure did and it had a polar bear as a logo too didn't it?

I feel SO old

marcyboy - 29/7/05 at 09:35 AM

didn't cresta do a cream soda as well hhmm,
and didn't you get money back on the bottles like other makes like corona and r whites... r whites ...i'm a secret lemonade drinker

Snuggs - 29/7/05 at 11:48 AM

Anybody remember strawberry and cream flavoured BLOBS. (sweets not condoms)

marcyboy - 29/7/05 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
Anybody remember strawberry and cream flavoured BLOBS. (sweets not condoms)

never heard of em

and there is a pain worse than treading on an upturned plug...

treading on a drawing pin.... well pulling it out anyhow

steve_gus - 29/7/05 at 06:36 PM

I thought cresta came in cans as well. The most memorable thing about it was the colours. You could have dyed anything dayglo with it.

atb

steve

Peteff - 29/7/05 at 06:40 PM

Treading barefoot on Lego in the dark, the little 4 stud bricks don't half come keen. Remember Orozo hard liquorice and Imps, they were the stuff to keep you quiet.

DaveFJ - 1/8/05 at 11:36 AM

Moon dust anyone? (or was it space dust?)- yes I know it had a brief revival a few years ago...

DarrenW - 1/8/05 at 12:11 PM

ha ha - IMPS. We are now at a point where i can join the conversation. I can just remember them.
Spangles?

timf - 1/8/05 at 01:07 PM

mojos and blackjacks

hmmm

DaveFJ - 1/8/05 at 01:28 PM

mmm black jacks - 4 for 1p

marcyboy - 2/8/05 at 08:23 AM

not 4 for 1d

907 - 2/8/05 at 11:14 AM

The answer to everything.

A young kid "F in" at their mum in the street.......
Shove a gob stopper in their mouth.

Get home after a hard days work and the wife prattles on about everything......
Shove a gob stopper in her mouth.

Someone scratches yer car.......

Shove 50 gob stoppers in their mouth.

Paul G

DarrenW - 2/8/05 at 12:29 PM

i used to like a finger of fudge as a kid but darent ask for it anymore!!!

the_parson - 2/8/05 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
i used to like a finger of fudge as a kid but darent ask for it anymore!!!

Haha, indeed. At the time it was just enough to give your kids a treat.

Now it's just enough to get sent down for 5 to 10.