Board logo

Cycle wing "height"
StevenB - 20/9/09 at 09:23 PM

Is there a correct height offset to position the wing above the tyre circumference.

I think it looks best if the edge of the wing is
concentric with the tyre but it looks like it leaving a big air gap.
I can see clear out the other side.

Is there a correct position?

Cheers

s

prawnabie - 20/9/09 at 09:30 PM

I think as long as you can get the tyre off and the wing fixings clear the tyre you're ok. I think james warner used hosepipe on top of the tyre to get his gap on the R4.

The only rule I can think of is the position of the wing so you cannot see any tyre from the top - IVA regs will tell you more!

HTH
Shaun

austin man - 20/9/09 at 09:37 PM

make sure that the front of the arch is in front of the rim if not its a test fail

omega0684 - 20/9/09 at 09:37 PM

mine sits about 10-15mm from the tyre

tomgregory2000 - 21/9/09 at 06:47 AM

i set mine up so i had just enough room to get the wheel off

BenB - 21/9/09 at 10:52 AM

I took a side view picture of a Cateringvan and copied that to work out the height of the wings. I'm not sure I ended up getting my arches quite right but hey, the intention was good....

nick205 - 21/9/09 at 12:31 PM

I like the snug look where the wing hugs the tyre closely - Dax cars always seem to look great in this respect (IMHO).

I have about 10-15mm clearance between the tyre and the inside surface of the wing. I can just about get the wheel/tyre on and off although it does take a little persuassion.

Bending the stays to achieve the right fit I found a right PITA. Hvaing to then do the other side to match was an even bigger PITA. One tip is to pump the tyres up good and hard and then use small blocks of woode between the tyre and the stay to act as a former. An adjustable spanner or better still mole grips come in handy for better leverage too.

Description
Description

[Edited on 21/9/09 by nick205]

FEZ1025 - 21/9/09 at 04:16 PM

You also need to read Section 37 of the new IVA manual.

Alan...

rusty nuts - 21/9/09 at 07:07 PM

Too large a gap will cause the front of the car to lift due to aerodynamics

StevenB - 22/9/09 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.
wood currently in place.
offset allowed for big heads.
Section 37 sorted.

s