Board logo

My Westfield SS Fullbodied Car
liam.mccaffrey - 22/11/09 at 01:59 PM

A number of people had asked about this so I thought I would start a thread. For those that don't know this is the car I am talking about;

I first asked about the car in this thread from 2006,
linky and this is what Matt from Procomp said;
“Hi this car now belongs to 7 in a fancy suit indeed a member on here the car was originally a prototype built by westfield and raced for a short time in the 750mc by Jack Dalmas and then sold to Tom Laffey who used it for a short time the moulds were bought by us Procomp . The car was then sold by Tom to some one in Scotland and after a lack of time to do anything with the moulds were also sold by us to the same person i believe. After that it seemed to disappear for the next 10-15 years but then turned up again with the vx fitted as it originally had a xflow. It changed hands a few times and then ended up with it's present owner in Ireland and the moulds now back with us Procomp . The plan is to use the moulds to produce a new body for our new car in 2007 although will be quite different to what it is now. the existing moulds were only ever prototype and are now in need of repair . The existing body would not fit over a 7 type chassis as it is more of a front engine rear wheel drive mid seated driver with the engine sat on top of the front axle line”

I loved the look of the car and was thinking about making my own bodywork in that style. I was quietly collecting parts and generally procrastinating when in Nov 2007 I was sent to Oklahoma on a work assignment for 2 years. I shelved the idea of building a car and sold all of my parts and tools. Whilst in the states I had a chance meeting with Chrisf on here and got to see his fantastic fireblade 7 racing at Hallet racetrack. Its one of the nicest 7's I have ever seen. This got my interest back in building again and I bought 2 mx5's for about 300 quid, sold all I didn't need and kept all the good bits from both cars. I had built a +442 chassis and wishbones when I was sent home to the UK I dismantled the chassis and had everything shipped home.

I then happened to find out that Procomp were selling the moulds, I called Matt and bit his hand off.

Long story short is that I have the moulds and a couple of body panels, I have some picutre somewhere. They need some work before they are ready to have new panels pulled from them though. I am using mx5 hubs, front/rear uprights and rear brakes. Front brakes are rx7 turbo calipers with aluminium hubbed discs. Engine is a supercharged Volvo T5 engine. Gearbox is a Tremec Borg Warner WC T5. Rear diff probably going to be from a cossie or impreza, not sure yet. This is all going to be housed in a custom tube chassis I am making to fit the bodywork. I have everything I need bar the chassis now.

Some more pics;

oadamo - 22/11/09 at 02:21 PM

how much would you want for a body shell. how long until you start making them or how much do you want for the moulds.
adam

[Edited on 22/11/09 by oadamo]

02GF74 - 22/11/09 at 04:28 PM

nice.

Dangle_kt - 22/11/09 at 04:37 PM

Every time I see that car I think it looks very good indeed! Shame it's not a simple rebody job on a 7 chassis I could happily go for something like that!

All the best with the plans. Keep us posted, I'll be readin with interest.

mr henderson - 22/11/09 at 04:54 PM

"The existing body would not fit over a 7 type chassis as it is more of a front engine rear wheel drive mid seated driver with the engine sat on top of the front axle line”

In the picture with the bonnet off, we can see that this is NOT the case, the chassis member joining the two upper spring mountings can be clearly seen, and unless the example shown has been modified from the original referred to, the engine is behind the front axle line and not over it.

I find car design stuff very interesting, being intensely involved with something that hopefully will see the light of day next year.

D Beddows - 23/11/09 at 01:12 PM

Matt isn't renowned for talking out of his a*rse so why do you feel you know better?! He was trying to flog the moulds as well so it would hardly have been in his interest to put people off if they did fit straight over a Westfield chassis.........

I had a chat with Matt about this bodywork on my stag night 3 or so years ago and I actually know why Procomp didn't progress with the project, I've always liked the shape as well and I did consider putting an offer in but they would probably just sat in my garage gathering dust so I'm glad Liam is making use of them and just hope they don't disappear like so many other bodywork moulds have.......

mr henderson - 23/11/09 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Matt isn't renowned for talking out of his a*rse so why do you feel you know better?!

You could start an argument in an empty room, I remember how you were always keen to put the boot in back along.

What I actually said was, and I will quote it here so that this time you can read it -

" the chassis member joining the two upper spring mountings can be clearly seen, and unless the example shown has been modified from the original referred to, the engine is behind the front axle line and not over it. "

Notice that I didn't say that the bodywork would fit over a standard 7 chassis (whatever that is supposed to be), what I was drawing attention to was the fact that the engine (in the picture I was referring to) was behind the front axle and not over it.

Does it matter? Of course it bloody matters. A spaceframe is relatively straightforward to design if the spring mountings can be linked with a straight tube as in the photo. If not, if there is an engine in the way, then it's quite a bit more tricky, so much so that I can't offhand think of a spaceframe car that does have the engine over the axle.

You will notice if you make the effort that I also provided for the possibility that the car in the picture had been modified from the original referred to (by Matt).

Hope that sets your mind at rest.

cd.thomson - 23/11/09 at 01:57 PM

Hi Mr Henderson,

hadnt noticed you were back!

I need to thank you for a thread you wrote a while back about fitting a replacement upper steering column bearing/mount. It's worked very well.

Also in Mr H's defense, I think he was adding to the discussion rather than taking the p!

liam.mccaffrey - 23/11/09 at 02:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I'm glad Liam is making use of them and just hope they don't disappear like so many other bodywork moulds have.......

I don't plan on getting rid, I love the shape and hope to look after the moulds

One thing I had thought about doing was borrowing my mates locost and seeing how close the bodywork is. If it could be made to work that would be a cool rebody for a 7.

mr henderson - 23/11/09 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey

One thing I had thought about doing was borrowing my mates locost and seeing how close the bodywork is. If it could be made to work that would be a cool rebody for a 7.

Looks to me (difficult to tell with the pictures, why does nobody ever take a picture of a car side on) that if the bonnet or the front end, rather, was lengthened a bit you would be ok for most narrow 7s, Locosts etc. Sierra based cars a bit trickier, maybe

[Edited on 23/11/09 by mr henderson]

procomp - 23/11/09 at 03:07 PM

Hi.

If anyone would like to know the full details about the car or the bodywork etc you can contact me. But i assume Liam will know all that is to know also. The car that is pictured and what was originally built are two very different things as many mods have taken place on the chassis and the moulds.

Hope all is going well with your project Liam. It's about time that the project was brought back to life.

Cheers Matt

procomp - 23/11/09 at 03:12 PM

Hi

The mould as they are now are nothing like the car in the picture. They where altered to make it rear engined rather than a front engined setup. chances of it easily fitting over a Locost chassis are not viable without seriously re modifying to an extent that it would be easier to start from scratch.

What it really needs is a rear tranverese setup.

Cheers Matt

liam.mccaffrey - 23/11/09 at 04:14 PM

Matt is right the red car is a lot shorter in the arse than the moulds I bought. They're actually coming out of storage tonight so i will take some photos and measurements. could end up with a middy yet

morcus - 23/11/09 at 07:20 PM

I know I've already said this privately but I'm gonna say it here as well, Thank you for sharing this as I've been thinking about it ever since you posted a pic here what feels like months ago.

Are the moulds you have the ones commissioned by the bloke in Ireland who owned the prototype?

Do you have any videos of it going? and what sort of money would a body like that cost?

morcus - 23/11/09 at 07:20 PM

I know I've already said this privately but I'm gonna say it here as well, Thank you for sharing this as I've been thinking about it ever since you posted a pic here what feels like months ago.

Are the moulds you have the ones commissioned by the bloke in Ireland who owned the prototype?

Do you have any videos of it going? and what sort of money would a body like that cost?

liam.mccaffrey - 24/11/09 at 12:22 AM

its impossible to say until i have built a set, ill keep you posted