Board logo

polishing plastic headlight lenses
smart51 - 23/1/10 at 04:56 PM

There are a couple of slight scratches on the plastic headlights of my car. Is cerium oxide (glass polish) too abrasive? Otherwise, what am I best using?

liam.mccaffrey - 23/1/10 at 04:57 PM

I'd be interested to know also, I have ruined a usable plastic lens doing this in the past

[Edited on 23/1/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

matt_gsxr - 23/1/10 at 05:06 PM

Brasso or equivalent metal polish is quite good for plastics (faces of Swatches for example). Very gentle and slow as it works just like a very fine grinding paste.

Try on an out of the way patch first, as they always say.

Matt

David Jenkins - 23/1/10 at 05:07 PM

I use Farecla G3 (the paint polishing stuff) on my Yaris headlamp plastics, to brighten them up (they go all hazy over time).

Brings them up all sparkly and clean.

[Edited on 23/1/10 by David Jenkins]

COREdevelopments - 23/1/10 at 05:17 PM

as above g3 is perfect along with a good buffer

Rob

smart51 - 23/1/10 at 05:28 PM

lovely. I have some G3 and a mop. That's tomorrow afternoon sorted.

austin man - 23/1/10 at 07:00 PM

you can also use wet and dry use p1000 and p1200 followed by brasso the will look as good as new, I used to polish damage out of plastics as part of my job. The buffer may cause more damage so buff on a low speed. I have even used a piece of cardboard before for the final stage of polishing

bimbleuk - 23/1/10 at 07:01 PM

Probabaly depends on the plastic but I've spent an hour on each of my Laguna lenses. I used one of the cheap ebay/stall polishing kits with the polishing mops which attach to a drill. I used the medium compound to flatten the surface then the finishing compound to polish.

They were in a terrible state with very obvious surface crazing you could feel. I showed them to someone who had seen them before and they asked how much they had cost to replace

smart51 - 23/1/10 at 09:41 PM

Thanks all. C3 and the polisher have done the trick.

Angel Acevedo - 24/1/10 at 11:36 AM

Too late for you, but for everybody else, I used to have summer jobs while still a student, and I remember a product used to polish Plastic Helicopter windowsw and windshields.
I canīt recall the name of it, that was quite a while ago.....

Mark Allanson - 24/1/10 at 11:47 AM

Don't use anything amonia based (Brasso), it will attack the plastic and make it cloudy.

At work, insurance companies will pay us 50% of the value of a headlamp if we can repair it. If a plastic lens is scraped, we get it flat with anything from 120g upwards, wet flat and finish with G3 in a polishing mop.

It is quite a good deal on, say an Audi TT, the headlaps are over Ģ800 each!