Board logo

Wind Deflectors
digiman - 15/4/12 at 07:24 PM

Has anyone tried these wind deflectors? And are they any use?
Thanks Chaps

Caterham Wind Deflectors | eBay

ian locostzx9rc2 - 15/4/12 at 07:33 PM

Hi made a set for my bike engined striker many years ago and it made a big difference.

KitCatE1 - 15/4/12 at 07:35 PM

wouldn't they just flap about without friction hinges?

snapper - 15/4/12 at 08:06 PM

I started without a screen,
added a screen
Big difference
Added deflectors, looked good but didn't make much of a difference
Added doors
Big difference

Chippy - 15/4/12 at 10:00 PM

I fitted wind deflectors before fitting the doors, bloody waste of time and money, they made little or no difference. IMHO Ray

David Jenkins - 16/4/12 at 07:35 AM

I fitted these to my screen:
Wind deflector
Wind deflector

They didn't get rid of the turbulence, but they did reduce it quite a lot.

I built my car for the open-air experience, so I don't want to be closed in by doors!

BenB - 16/4/12 at 09:35 AM

They do make a difference. I homebrewed some and stuck them to my Locost. But yes, the problem is that they can flap about and mine actually rode up on the hinges which wasn't the plan! I ended up using some proper Locost string to hold them down

rusty nuts - 16/4/12 at 06:18 PM

I made some using an offcut of Lexan from my local plastics supplier that are a bit wider than the Caterham items and are fixed solidly to the screen pillars . IMHO they do cut down the buffeting and only cost pennies

digiman - 17/4/12 at 09:36 AM

I've just tried to knock some up with some 4mm polycarbonate, but made a real hash of cutting it.
Any suggestions on the best way to cut rounded shapes?

David Jenkins - 17/4/12 at 09:48 AM

I roughed mine out with a hacksaw (maybe my jigsaw with a fine blade - can't quite remember) then filed the edges to shape. Needless to say that you should take care not to scratch the plastic while doing this! I left the protective film on, and put padding in my vice jaws. Got rid of as many scratches as I could on the edge by going to finer and finer files (I have many!).

Once the shape was right I sanded the edge using progressively finer grades of emery paper, right down to the very finest (crocus paper?). Then I polished the edge with Farecla G4 (used for cutting back and smoothing new paint).

Sounds like a lot of work, but it was just a couple of hours idly fiddling around in the garage.

[Edited on 17/4/12 by David Jenkins]