Board logo

What are these Westfield panels?
Rob55 - 21/11/12 at 10:42 PM

Can someone help identify what these panels are? They came as part of my aluminium panels set (powder coated)

Manual says these are "rear closing panels" and are fitted after the bodywork, however I have scoured the rest of the manual and it doesn't actually say where they go or what they are for

There's no reference to these anywhere in the manual!

Confused but excited. - 21/11/12 at 11:15 PM

Would have thought your first call would to ask Westfield.

Rob55 - 21/11/12 at 11:30 PM

Unfortunately they aren't open right now

ross05 - 22/11/12 at 07:16 AM

possibly chassis blanking plates for under rear arches not 100%

locoR1 - 22/11/12 at 07:37 AM

By the looks of them as Ross says small ones are for closeing of the gap between the tub and the chassis in the engine bay other two for under the rear arches.

Proby - 22/11/12 at 08:06 AM

Yep, I had those left over too 10 years ago! I believe, as said, they are for closing the voids between body and chassis.

ross05 - 22/11/12 at 08:10 AM

Nice CB500 cafe racer is it in your lounge yet !!! I have a 87 XBR500 waiting for some TLC in the garage.OH yes they are close ing panels for between chassis and tub,I remember fitting some 15 years ago.

locoR1 - 22/11/12 at 08:51 AM

If I was single it would be although the garage is like a showroom anyway :-)

Gadgetman - 29/12/12 at 04:29 PM

As has been said, they're for closing the gaps between the grp tub and the outer aluminium cladding on the chassis. Weirdly, they're in some generations of manual, but not others.

The top ones fit on the sides of the chassis just in front of the rear wheel arches; they need bending slightly first - that's why the tab that rivets to the aluminium cladding on the chassis has a gap IYSWIM. The hook shaped part hooks over the round chassis tube. (I'll see if I can find some photos or pics. It's sort of obvious once you bend them and hold them in place.

The other smaller panels are easier, they go on inside the engine bay, they just rivet on to the front footwell end chassis tubes, with the curved edges fitting into the bodywork.

I don't think I actually got the front panels with my kit, just the rears. I ended up borrowing a tip from the old Race series and filled the gaps between the grp sides and aly. With expanding builders foam.