Board logo

Fitting a Jago Jeep body on a Dutton?
montythemole - 24/2/14 at 03:43 PM

Been having some odd thoughts recently, and would like some advice from the experts.

I have a Phaeton S3 that looks like this:

It's been parked up at my mates for nearly 2 years and in current state is probably worth naff all. It's properly registered as a Dutton though, no dodgy ID issues. It needs work to recommission and get MOTd again and I'm struggling for motivation.

Now what I would like is a car that looked like this, an 'owner' jeep from Phillipines:

With a slice of this rat rod jeep:

I've looked at getting a Jago but from discussions with owners they are very hard to get properly low.

So I've been debating getting a Jago bodytub from an incomplete project and trying to drop it over.

Jago wheelbase from google seems to be 80", and Dutton 86".

The Dutton chassis looks like this (rear on left)

Can't find much pics of a Jago chassis but the tub looks like:

Looking at both chassis they seems to have a similar rear overhang due to the leaf suspension, and just pokes out the back of the Jago body. The longer wheelbase could be coped with by having the wheels further forward in the front arches, a bit like the rat rod pic, but hopefully not so much as to be illegal and with a small protrusion of the chassis through the front.

The jago works off a plywood floor, so in theory would be easy to replicate this around the chassis.

Anyone tried anything like this before? Any advice or areas to avoid? Is this all a silly idea?!

Where would I stand regards the V5. I wouldn't plan to change the chassis, and would keep the chassis plate in place, so it would purely be a visual change with some minor bolt on sections to support the tub if/where needed. So would I leave as a Dutton to be correct, and/or try and get the body style changed to a Dutton Jeep or similar? Any thoughts appreciated.

Also the Dutton is a 1.3 XFlow so no power beast. Manifold is cracked so considering using some stainless 4-to-1 manifold I have, with the final collector left off to give open headers.

r1_pete - 24/2/14 at 03:57 PM

I'm pretty sure as long as you don't alter the chassis, you'll not need to re IVA, and I guess you'll be able to prove consistency of chassis / running gear.

As for the looks, the second picture of the USA Jeep is quite cool, the first one is completely naff IMO, and I wouldn't put any effort into building something which looked like that.

As you're working will GRP any mods to make the body fit should be quite straightforward, you could probably cut the mounting points off the pheaton tub fit them to the chassis and then bond them into the jeep tub when you have the look you want.

theconrodkid - 24/2/14 at 04:00 PM

i built a Jago in my yoof,the chassis is from memory 2X1 box and pretty flat,as for the rat rod look...definatley !.

montythemole - 24/2/14 at 04:15 PM

Thanks guys, so it sounds doable.

Never done any GRP work before but guess always a good time to learn.

The first photo was the best I could find of the Phillipines style. I like their low looks but some of their other styling is a little individual!:

There's also a bonnet less hot rod style if I can't quite get proportions right, but would obviously need cycle wings on the front to be legal which this US one doesn't.

coozer - 24/2/14 at 05:47 PM

I've got a complete set of Jago body and panels here going FREE.. come get it!

You can also have a look and run a tape measure over my chassis

coozer - 24/2/14 at 05:50 PM

Jago made hot rods before Jeeps, heres one..

r1_pete - 24/2/14 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Jago made hot rods before Jeeps, heres one..

70s Hot Rods, I think if anything proper like Revenge, Nickleodean, Andromeda etc ever came up at reasonable money I'd really struggle to keep my money in my pocket.

I grew up on a diet of Street Machine and Custom Car, wonder what happened to Super CC and Cecilia.....

[Edited on 24/2/14 by r1_pete]

corrado vr6 - 24/2/14 at 07:17 PM

[Edited on 24/2/14 by corrado vr6]

montythemole - 24/2/14 at 09:20 PM

quote:

Oh tempting! Would you be up Newcastle way? That's a fair old drive from Milton Keynes. hmm.....

nick205 - 24/2/14 at 09:27 PM

Quite like the US rat rod jeep, would make a very good summer toy

trextr7monkey - 25/2/14 at 10:50 AM

Hi Jago, chassis steps up behind rear seats to gain height for back axle basically a long ladder chassis, I will have pics of a bare chassis somewhere if you can't locate one Mcpherson struts at front need to go for coil overs, usually the expense involved is these death of these pipe dreams. Over the last few years there has been a variety of slammed things or bike engine ideas which have never seen light of day, it is best suited to the rust free 4 x 4 than rat rod though the American one is cool as fook.
It is possible to stretch front end considerably - do a search for Frankengeep on Jago club, other folk have split tub length ways and bonded in an extra 4 or 5" width to make it suit wider tracked arrangements using Sierra running gear, I think.
I think Jago tub on Jimny running gear would be a good way to go, but again Jimny bits can get expensive.
atb
Mike

coozer - 25/2/14 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by montythemole
quote:

Oh tempting! Would you be up Newcastle way? That's a fair old drive from Milton Keynes. hmm.....

A1/J62 Durham. Bit of a drive but not too far IMO.

And more...

sprintB+ - 28/1/16 at 01:04 PM

Did this ever get going ?? been thinking ! and I'm sort of getting an itch to go a bit radical in my old age and just thought of this, seeing I have a couple of Duttons on hand etc. (its got to be done, now I'm a pensioner)

froggy - 28/1/16 at 05:57 PM

It's a bit of a marmite build but whatever floats your boat .given the amount of work involved what about using a rod body and grafting it over the dutton chassis .you would end up with something with a lot more resale value than a jago as they seem to struggle to make much more than a grand

montythemole - 16/2/16 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sprintB+
Did this ever get going ?? been thinking ! and I'm sort of getting an itch to go a bit radical in my old age and just thought of this, seeing I have a couple of Duttons on hand etc. (its got to be done, now I'm a pensioner)

It's sort of going. Got as far as rescuing the car from my mates drive and it's in the garage and started on minor items to make it run etc. I'm now at the point of getting it MOTd as it is, pulling the body and doing the Jago / hot rod mod. Or part of me wonders what this:

Mixed with a bit of this:

Would look like.

Figure I'd need to sort four cycle wings/arches, front and rear light pods and number plate light, minimal protection for engine to stop people touching whirling fans/belts and that would be about it.