Board logo

Ugly ducking bum lift
Trev Borg - 7/9/14 at 05:04 PM

Looking for some ideas and inspirtion.

I need a bum lift!! Well my car does really.

It is the marmite styles Midtec Spyder.

I am one of the few that like the look of the car, but only from the front.

I have had to lat the seat back a lot in mine so i can fit in, and that meant getting roll hoop made to fit around them.

After doing this ( and the comments that came from people seeing the arse end) I got to thinking it would not be too big a job really. (or might be)

My car has a rear clam shell, so, this can be taken off easily.

The side profile can be improved greatly by lifting the engine cover so that it points up towards the rear hoop. This balances the slopes of the car and stops it looking like a picnic table.

The bit where the spare wheel would go is the worst bit.

If it were to be mowed off completely and the round shape of the rear aches extended across the back, this would look loads better. The top of the spare wheel bit that looks like spoiler could be left.

So, any thoughts? (nice comments only please, I have feelings you know)

Also, anyone know any fibreglass blokes local to Scarborough? I might have a go at it myself, but not sure.

This how it looks now, only with taller (cats ears, roll hoop sat further back

how i think it should look from the side

[Edited on 7/9/2014 by Trev Borg]

Ugg10 - 7/9/14 at 07:41 PM

How about double rear humps like the porsche 911 speedster or even a slightly rounded off deronda.

43655 - 7/9/14 at 07:49 PM

definitely looks like an improvement to me.
Personally I think I'd lower the rear down to cover more of the wheels though, but leave out a gap for a diffuser (yea can't help but think of aerodynamics I'm afraid!)

Also perhaps shaping the rear hatch to compliment the 'cat ear' profile? Carrera-GT springs to mind (What Ugg said!)

[Edited on 7/9/14 by 43655]

Trev Borg - 7/9/14 at 08:35 PM

Thanls for the replies, I will have a look to see id there is enough space to get the double thing.

The hoops are a bit high (higher than the screen) but I am 6'3" sp need a bit of height to cover my head when wearing a helmet.

Trev Borg - 7/9/14 at 09:04 PM

The back is fairly low over the wheels, but as to commented, could be a bit lower

Trev Borg - 7/9/14 at 09:50 PM

TheGiantTribble - 8/9/14 at 08:25 AM

Personally as mentioned above go for twin rear humps, would completely change the rear end.

Mr Whippy - 8/9/14 at 12:02 PM

what about this and a space heater?

43655 - 8/9/14 at 06:19 PM

better than my MS Paint attempt!

ettore bugatti - 8/9/14 at 08:58 PM

How about some 340R as inspiration?

Couldn't resist to do a little doodle:
midtec rearstyle
midtec rearstyle

Please comment

[Edited on 8/9/14 by ettore bugatti]

ceebmoj - 8/9/14 at 10:31 PM

Have you seen the back of the marlin sexy?

matt_gsxr - 9/9/14 at 08:12 AM

A couple of sheets of ply and its a 917

Actually, that idea worked better in my head than in real life.

Trev Borg - 9/9/14 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
A couple of sheets of ply and its a 917

Actually, that idea worked better in my head than in real life.

lol

rdodger - 27/10/14 at 06:57 PM

Did you get any further with this?

I have always loved the Midtec Spyder and did buy an unfinished kit a few years ago then sold it on.

I do plan to get another but would also want to change the rear end

Trev Borg - 27/10/14 at 09:25 PM

Have not round to it yet, but going to go for it

midtecdave - 30/5/15 at 10:30 PM

[img]http://http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/darvkarf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskuktadsy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

midtecdave - 30/5/15 at 10:34 PM

[img]http://http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/darvkarf/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskuktadsy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[/img]

HowardB - 31/5/15 at 05:53 AM

That is tidy....link to darkarv photo

midtecdave - 1/6/15 at 10:11 AM

Thanks. Took ages!

rdodger - 1/6/15 at 01:56 PM

Any more pics of your car?

midtecdave - 5/6/15 at 02:57 PM

I can't work out how to post them

HowardB - 5/6/15 at 03:14 PM

Dave,

have a look at how I linked your picture, when you write a post, you can use the button that looks like a picture of the earth with a bit of yellow chain, this works for external images, eg photobucket or similar

or

you can upload jpeg images that are less than 200k or so to your own photo archive, and then link them from there,...

hth

midtecdave - 5/6/15 at 04:47 PM

I've added a few more pics to the photo bucket album but it won't let me upload them

[Edited on 5/6/15 by midtecdave]

Trev Borg - 5/6/15 at 05:15 PM

I like it.

I was hoping to bring the profile of the rear arches alll the way across the back on on mine

midtecdave - 5/6/15 at 07:40 PM

I don't think the transaxle would fit in. Audi ones are shorter so might just if you did an engine swap with a 1.8T or V6