Board logo

Retaining front lip of bonnet
Joshy - 5/7/16 at 07:33 PM

Hi all,

I have a pair of aero latches to hold down the back of my bonnet. Has anyone had any success building a 'tongue & groove' between the nose-cone trailing edge and bonnet leading edge?

Failing that, I'll just use a second pair of aero latches at the front...

Thanks!
Josh

Slimy38 - 5/7/16 at 08:07 PM

I wouldn't like to have the bonnet only supported by a tongue and groove on the front edge. Possibly on the back edge, but the fear of the bonnet flipping up would have me putting quite a substantial mechanical fixing on the front.

It would only need the nose cone to flex slightly (which I expect they might at speed or during cornering) and I can imagine it popping apart.

Bluemoon - 5/7/16 at 08:35 PM

Metal dowel pins would do a good job just make them long enough. Need to make up some brackets..

David Jenkins - 5/7/16 at 08:51 PM

I'm sure that some Westfields have a tidy mechanism - metal pins into holes at the front, locks at the back.

Perhaps a Google will supply some pictures of Westies' bonnets?

[Edited on 5/7/16 by David Jenkins]

Smoking Frog - 5/7/16 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'm sure that some Westfields have a tidy mechanism - metal pins into holes at the front, locks at the back.

Perhaps a Google will supply some pictures of Westies' bonnets?

[Edited on 5/7/16 by David Jenkins]

Yes I've seen that too, the nose cone has a extra bit of moulding under each side of the top edge with a hole in to take a large pin.

Rosco86 - 6/7/16 at 07:25 AM

i made these and bolted in the nose lip. and two holes in the bonnet,

peter030371 - 6/7/16 at 07:59 AM

Have a look at page 11 on this link > Westfield bodywork fitment

nick205 - 6/7/16 at 08:55 AM

On my MK Indy I used x4 rubber covered catches (x2 each side) to secure the bonnet. Passed SVA and never had any issues with it coming undone either. The catches and clips were riveted to the upper chassis rails below and into the GRP bonnet above - easy, quick and looked OK too. Better safe than sorry IMHO - a bonnet in the face would be dangerous and probably painful!