Board logo

Edge Trim
cfc999 - 13/10/16 at 03:01 PM

I've just cut some panels out of 2.5mm abs carbon effect plastic. The edges are quite sharp and a little ragged.
What's the best material to cover the edges with. Trying to get a professional looking finish. The panels are going to be bonded into position so the edging strip can't be too thick.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers

trextr7monkey - 13/10/16 at 04:00 PM

Cant you just file then sand edges smooth and polish with a bit of G3 or similar?

cfc999 - 13/10/16 at 05:57 PM

One side is perfect but the other in rough and a bit wonky so some sort of edging strip would hopefully straighten it up. Saw an a MK a will ago that had been wrapped and edged using something making it look very neat.

trextr7monkey - 13/10/16 at 07:36 PM

Sounds like you need some U shaped trim - have a look at Woollies site. If it's between Other panels then tadpole trim is the way to go.
Hth Mike

cfc999 - 13/10/16 at 08:39 PM

Got some free samples on their way. Will give Woollies a ring tomorrow.
Cheers

Hammy360 - 13/10/16 at 08:50 PM

Try the stuff from CBS that thye recommend for 7 type wings, its very professional looking mate and more oem looking than the wire reinforced stuff. It also contains its own adhesive.

nick205 - 14/10/16 at 07:52 AM

On my MK Indy I used U trim or tadpole beading to finish the edges of Alloy panels. Looked good and passed SVA without an issue too. Both methods may be thicker than you want if bonding the panels in place, but are low cost and quick.