Board logo

Black trim cleaner
LBMEFM - 19/5/17 at 10:07 AM

Tried in vane to properly clean up and restore the black plastic trim on my my van. tried Back to Black, Auto Glym vinyl cleaner, WD40 etc, they all look good when done but some only last until they are dry. Any suggestions or is there a paint that you have used to good effect?.


loggyboy - 19/5/17 at 10:14 AM

Car plan black trim wax.
Takes a few applications but lasts well.


Slater - 19/5/17 at 12:02 PM

Peanut butter, the smooth type, works a treat. Honest.

Please Let us know how you get on.


mark.s - 19/5/17 at 12:07 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wurth-Plastic-Plast-PT-75ml-Black/dp/B00LOPCM2E

This works well


obfripper - 19/5/17 at 12:22 PM

Careful heating up with a heatgun brings the colour back on quite a few bumper plastic types, you need to find an inconspcious area to test first.
Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9tDq1oRy9U

It also lasts a lot longer than any gel/wax/silicone type products.

Dave


Angel Acevedo - 19/5/17 at 02:19 PM

Shoe polish?
May stink a bit...


LBMEFM - 19/5/17 at 02:30 PM

After seeing the rip off price, £10.99, for bumper cleaner in Halfrauds I thought I give your suggestions a go. Heat gun OK but time consuming and difficult to get right to the edge near paintwork. Only saw shoe polish after I'd finished but sounds good. However, the most amazing result was peanut butter, rubbed it on polished it off and they look great even the polish stains on the edges have disappeared. Thank you everyone for your suggestion but particularly Slater for his suggestion, how on earth did you discover peanut butter?.


Angel Acevedo - 19/5/17 at 02:44 PM

Good to read feedback.
I wouldn“t use peanut butter as it would attract roaches and they eat EVERYTHING that has edible stuff smeared on here at these latitudes....


40inches - 19/5/17 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Good to read feedback.
I wouldn“t use peanut butter as it would attract roaches and they eat EVERYTHING that has edible stuff smeared on here at these latitudes....


You need to move latitudes, rather nice here this time of year, and no snakes


Angel Acevedo - 19/5/17 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Good to read feedback.
I wouldn“t use peanut butter as it would attract roaches and they eat EVERYTHING that has edible stuff smeared on here at these latitudes....


You need to move latitudes, rather nice here this time of year, and no snakes


Good...
I would change latitude...
Snakes are not that bad, they“re from the Boa Family, so no poison, and they take care of rats.
Have a great weekend.


40inches - 19/5/17 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Good to read feedback.
I wouldn“t use peanut butter as it would attract roaches and they eat EVERYTHING that has edible stuff smeared on here at these latitudes....


You need to move latitudes, rather nice here this time of year, and no snakes


Good...
I would change latitude...
Snakes are not that bad, they“re from the Boa Family, so no poison, and they take care of rats.
Have a great weekend.


And you too.


spudkey - 19/5/17 at 04:53 PM

You need this stuff

http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/perfect/exterior/paint/c4-permanent-trim-restorer

Have used it on all my cars the first about 3 years ago and the plastics still look like new
It seems expensive for the ammout you get but one drop goes a very long way


perksy - 19/5/17 at 09:06 PM

Boiled Linseed Oil

Works a treat


Slater - 19/5/17 at 09:51 PM

Peanut butter works well eh. Although your neighbours might wonder why you are rubbing the sun-pat into your bumpers. It has something to do with the oils in the butter and mildly abrasive paste.

Plus it's way cheaper than the other specialist products mentioned.

I think it was Mark at MAC#1 that told me about it. I thought it was a wind up, till I tried it out.


LBMEFM - 20/5/17 at 04:34 AM

Thanks again Slater


ianhurley20 - 20/5/17 at 07:41 AM

Peanut butter has been used by professional valeters and the motor trade for years. It has even been featured on a couple of TV programs where a car is undergoing a really deep clean up before sale


spiderman - 20/5/17 at 09:08 PM

peanut butter definitely works or you can heat the plastic with a hot air gun, it brings oils to the surface. Both work and both
locost.