Board logo

My Nose Cone Fell Off :(
Shiggins92 - 19/8/17 at 05:59 PM

Bought my MK Indy around two month or so ago and long story short my nose cone came off at about 50mph. Luckily nobody was hurt haha
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

The nose cone was held on with two bolts and it has it off the fiberglass as you can see in the pictures

I have another on order and it will be with me at the end of the month.

Just a few questions:

Is there anywhere else people bolt it too for strength as I two bolts obviously is not strong enough?

Also is there any indicators people recommend as mine were smashed when it landed?

Thankyou!!

james h - 19/8/17 at 06:30 PM

I hinged mine at the bottom lip of the nosecone, and the bottom rail of the chassis with M6 (or M5, can't remember) rivnuts. The top is kept on by the bonnet.

Smoking Frog - 19/8/17 at 06:49 PM

Best to have a hinge or fixing at the bottom as well as the top. A piano hinge or some kind of locost hinge like below.
Nose cone hinges
Nose cone hinges

Lots of inductors to choose from.
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/budget-stalk-carbon-indicator-100mm
If you want to stick with the same design, post a pic, someone will be able to tell where to get replacements.

CosKev3 - 19/8/17 at 08:39 PM

That's shoddy building just using two mounting points right at the rear!

The air pressure entering the nose cone will always force it up and fracture the fibreglass around those bolts.

As above,needs a bracket onto the lower edge of cone to chassis or hinge system.

I've got four mounting points on the top rail too,to spread the load more.

twybrow - 19/8/17 at 09:05 PM

I have two mountings at the rear of my nose, and one at the centre on the bottom. No issues with it lifting up and damaging the nose cone after 7 years!

steve m - 19/8/17 at 09:16 PM

Two at the bottom, and one at the side, (one broke) 18 years and 20k miles, seems ok to me

gremlin1234 - 19/8/17 at 09:23 PM

quote:
My Nose Cone Fell Off

I know I can't teach an old dog new tricks, but
how does it smell then?

Shiggins92 - 20/8/17 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for the advise I'll look at buying some rivet nuts and a rivet nut tool. I've never actually fitted rivet nuts so always nice to learn something new haha

I'll also look how it fits and see if there's anywhere I can put a hinge

Thankyou!