Board logo

Front wings
James24785 - 12/6/18 at 09:17 PM

Ok so last part of my winter makeover is to fit my new sport style front wings. I've got a few tubes of sticky stuff, but how is best to actually fit?
Naturally, being a kitcar, they don't exactly just drop into place and sit nice first time. They need a bit of a push down in order to get them to sit nice, and not leave a massive "arch gap."
How have people held their wings in place whilst the adhesive sets?

Next thing is, I don't want any mechanical fixing if I can get away with it? I like a clean look, so I don't really want bolt heads on show. Am I likely to lose a wing at some point if I rely on the adhesive alone?

Thanks!

big-vee-twin - 12/6/18 at 09:31 PM

I used Silkaflex to glue the bracket to the underside and once set fibre glassed over the bracket too.

My wings are flat top I stood a car battery on top til set.

nick205 - 13/6/18 at 08:49 AM

My MK Indy front wings were stuck with Sikaflex and then had 4 x M5x10 stainless dome head Allen bolts into the MK wing stays. They never came off and I managed a good close fit between the tyres and the wings.

rodgling - 15/6/18 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I used Silkaflex to glue the bracket to the underside and once set fibre glassed over the bracket too.

My wings are flat top I stood a car battery on top til set.

Yup, this is how I did mine - I glassed in a couple of small brackets with studs poking through to attach to the main bracket on the uprights.

No issues at all with coming off, the main brackets attached to the upright have broken a few times but I doubt the fibreglass will ever let go. I've also glassed in a bit of tubing to pass some wiring through.

I've arranged mine so that the wing can be easily removed, this is essential for when the bracket breaks (which it inevitably will).

[Edited on 15/6/18 by rodgling]