Board logo

CAD Model For Nose Cone
Mr - Mechanical - 3/2/20 at 06:29 PM

Hi everyone!

For years I have always wanting to build a 7, but for whatever reason (space / money), I have never completed my dream. (although I did once get as far as building the chassis).

However, last year I took up a new hobby..... machining. I bought a milling machine and lathe and set about learning how to use these new tools. More recently I bought some drawings for a mini four cylinder, four stroke engine (100mm long engine block) which I plan to make.

Not only did I want to make the engine, but I decided I'd like to put it to use. Power something with it. And that's when I had the idea to build a mini 7. I had the haynes roadster book, all I needed to do was scale down the chassis plans to the size of the engine. Which is what I have done.

https://youtu.be/fwiFxDEsH-o

No doubt this will be a challenging project as I will have to design and make everything. But I'm in no hurry and I don't mind scrapping a few bits of metal in the process. This forum will be a very useful source of information for my project.

Let me get to the point of this post..... planning ahead, one of the things I will need assistance with is the nose cone. I can't buy one to fit my chassis, and the complexity of the shape is beyond my cad skills.

So I'm looking for a 3D cad model that could be used to either have the part 3D printed, or a mold 3D printed. (I like the idea of making my own carbon fiber part from a mold)

If anyone has such a CAD model or knows who I could contact for one, I would very much appreciate your comment!

Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 3/2/20 by Mr - Mechanical]

[Edited on 3/2/20 by Mr - Mechanical]

suzcruz - 31/5/20 at 10:52 PM

Did you try Grabcad?
Being a model it might be easier just to get a chunk of foam and carve the shape by eye, make a small mold with fibreglass.
Is this an RC style build? Or more like a 'rivet counter' build?
There were a few Japanese blogs in the 2000's i recall, they were very good.

HowardB - 1/6/20 at 06:56 AM

there is also a great way of doing it in a more direct method. Take a photo, draw horizontal and vertical lines on it, do this for side and plan view, if you want guidelines,. this thread is awesome amazing scratch bodywork